The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Timing belt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpeclipse

Probationary Member
Dec 14, 2008
Tacoma, Washington
I just quit hondas and getting into dsm so pretty new at this. I just bought a 97 eclipse gts and it have around 115k miles on it. I'm thinking about changing the timing belt but not sure if I need to change anything else. My plan is to change the timing belt and alternator belt also, but some I've been looking around and seeing people also change the tentioner. My question is: What should I change along with timing belt? (is it a must to change the tentioner?)

Provided it was done on schedule, it's almost time to change it again. Timing belt, timing tensioner, balance shaft belt, unless you do a balance shaft delete. All drive belts. Check your hoses as well.

Water pump, oil pump, head gasket, throw some ARP's on that bizzatch. Intake gasket, exhaust gaskets, all belts

If its possible, eliminate the balance shafts, but its pain to do with the motor in the car still

If not, either way replace that balance shaft belt. If it takes a dump on you, you can kiss your valves goodbye practically!

Can't think of anything else, but use OEM belts!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back