The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Swaping turbo ECU In my turbo 420a??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car_guy_09

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2007
Wilmington, Ohio
Is it possible to take a turbo 4g63 ECU and put it in my turbo 420a? I searched first but really could not find anything. I was thinking about getting a turbo parts car so i could swap the mas and all the sensors. The main reason i want to do this is tuning since there are many tunning solutions for the 4g63 and the turbo ecu is meant for boost. It may be a dumb question but i wanted to find out for sure.

I know they've gotten DSMLink to work on several applications other than DSM's, so I don't see why not... as long as you can configure the proper sensors, I suppose its possible. MegaSquirt would definitely be easier (and probably cheaper) to install.

yea dsmlink is the main reason i would do the ecu swap. I surprised that nobody has already done this:confused: How hard is it to setup ms? Can i just use it to control fuel?

It's pretty simple to setup too. You won't need to mess around with retrofitting crank angle or cam position sensors since MS has 420A support built right in. You'll simply need to install two new temperature sensors and run wires to all you other pre-existing sensors.

UHm, well, I would strongly encourage for you to NOT try swapping the ECU. Not enough people with the 420a have done it so when you run into problems it's all on you and you could be SOL if things go bad. There are many other practical and realistic options for a successful set-up and swapping the 4g63 ECU into the 420a is not one of them. If you ask me, of course.. Just my .02...

Then again, if you don't do it who will? The biggest problem I see is a crank signal. If there was a way to mount a 4g63 cam angle sensor in place of the 420a cam sensor then the rest should be a breeze. With the new flashing of the 98-99 ecu's I would say it might be worth a try.

I know this is an old thread but I couldnt help but read it over and i have to comment on it, as the moderator said anything is possible and with the 4863 eprom this would be a very time consumeing and pains taking task, for a number of reasons. 1 the duration on the crank is a smaller cercumfrance on the 420a than the 4g63 so the cps would be off by a bit compaired to timeing pulse programed in the to eprom.2 the cps and camps on the 420a use a 4 point raised pick up point on the timeing duration wheels the 4g63 only use 2 so you would have to fab duration wheels for both. 3 you would have to rewire the dash and replace the gage cluster along with rewireing the fuel pump and fuse block to ecept the 4g63 harness, they are both very differant. If I were you i would just go AEM universal that way you can keep most of the dash wireing the same and all you would have to do is the scensor pic ups and fuel pump. eather way you its still a crud load of work :hmm:

Well... as I mentioned before (a long time before), there's one much easier alternative: Megasquirt EMS. Nothing whatsoever needs to be fabricated in order to use a Megasquirt EMS ECU with a 420A Eclipse or Talon. Simply tap and splice a few wires and begin tuning.

-"The Moderator"

VelocitàPaola;152193873 said:
Well... as I mentioned before (a long time before), there's one much easier alternative: Megasquirt EMS. Nothing whatsoever needs to be fabricated in order to use a Megasquirt EMS ECU with a 420A Eclipse or Talon. Simply tap and splice a few wires and begin tuning.

-"The Moderator"

+1million for msns because the 420a platform would be so lost and so pointless to mod up without it:applause:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back