The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

[RESOLVED] Sensor on a 1g throttle body? [Merged 5-8] Idle position switch stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talondsmawd

Probationary Member
Mar 31, 2009
steger, Illinois
okay so this sensor should be an easy one to name. it mounts to the side of the throttle body, it seems to tell the ecu when your off the throttle. it has a button on the bottom that gets pushed when your off the throttle and an adjustment on it

ok because i think its bad...
with it plugged in the car seems alot faster but the idle fluctuates
with it unplugged its not as fast

Sounds like a idle stop switch. One quick test you can do is to start the car and using a wire or simply a wrench and lay it across the TB and the intake manifold and see what happens. Sometimes i think the idle stop switch doesn't have the greatest ground.

On a 1G the official name is Idle Position switch (based on what the factory manual calls it).
It's on the left hand side on this picture and the TPS is on the right, with the ISC on the bottom left and the FIAV on the bottom right.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

image borrowed without permission from Throttlebodys.Com

thats the idle stop switch which should have a wire hooked up to it which grounds it i believe

I swapped to a 1g throttle body and don't know what connects to this. Do I even need it?

thats the idle stop switch which should have a wire hooked up to it which grounds it i believe

i dont think you need only because i just put a 1g tb on my 2g and i have the same thing on mine and its just sitting there. i have nothing connected to it and my car runs fine.

It's the idle switch, which on a 2g is built into the TPS instead. All it's for is so the ECU knows you're off the throttle so it can cut fuel for deceleration, saving fuel.

If you reuse your 2G TPS and correctly set it then the 1G IPS is simply a throttle stop.
If you didn't use the 2G TPS in your swap or made the even bigger mistake of using 90 style 6 bolt parts you'll need to reroute the IPS signal from the TPS connector to the IPS male spade connector and make sure that the throttle body ground is present and working.

Do you guys know with color wire to tap into if you have a 1g tps? Just splice in and run a connector to the switch?

The 2G TPS harness has 4 pins. As Steve said, the best way to do it is to simply swap the TPS from your 2G TB onto the 1G TB. But, if you have to use the 1G TPS, the idle position switch is connected to pin #3, a Yellow/Red striped wire:
http://www.dsmchips.com/2GTPS.jpg
Pin #4 of the connector is GROUND for both the TPS and the idle position switch, but as long as your TB is grounded with the factory ground strap you only need to add the one wire.
Jeff O.
dsmchips.com

Can anyone give me the part number for this part??
I know Machv has it for sale on their website for $99 and was wondering i could get a Solid correct(TPS always pops up on my searches) name and a part number!

thanks,

and sorry i know this is old but i figure its better than me starting a new one, plus i think it would have just got merged here anyways!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back