The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] Put timing belt on, now crank will not rotate.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliver

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2008
me, Texas
Just put the timing belt on, everything is in time. Crank sprocket, oil sprocket, and cam gears line up. But when I go to rotate the crank 6 time like the manual says I feel really bad resistance on 1/2 turn.

Do you still have the spark plugs in?

Do you still have the spark plugs in?

Agreed. Pull the plugs so you are not fighting the compression of the cylinders. There will still be resistance from the valve springs which will feel like a repeating tension then release cycle.

ok, they were in the 1st time.

Pulled them out now it still does the same thing. Should I D/c the fuel rail? Battery is not even in btw.

This is where it stops at:

original 3 oclock and 9 oclock marks marked in white out

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Make sure everything is out the way...including your crank position sensor plate. I did that once. Not cool

I would double check all of your timing marks. Sometimes you have to advance the exhaust cam one tooth clockwise to make it work.

Make sure you don't have something stuck in a tooth of the belt or Gears.

Were your dowel pins in the cam gears at 12 o clock when you did the timing job?

My suggestion is to set the engine back to TDC and re-do the timing job. Take the belt off, check all the teeth then re-install it.

Make sure you don't have something stuck in a tooth of the belt or Gears.

Were your dowel pins in the cam gears at 12 o clock when you did the timing job?

My suggestion is to set the engine back to TDC and re-do the timing job. Take the belt off, check all the teeth then re-install it.

Engine was at TDC, dowel pins we're at 12 o clock. Like I said, everything was in time. I'm gonna go see if anythings stuck real quick.

Are you using all new components (auto tensioner, pulleys)?

Recheck the belt tension. Is auto tensioner rod still within spec?

Are you able to rotate the crank at all CCW? According to the FSM it is ok to do so just a bit. In fact, it recommends rotating 1/4 turn CCW before doing the 6 revolutions after setting the tension.

If those check out, maybe remove the valve cover to make sure none of the valves are binding up.

Ok, it does rotate CCW just fine. It rotates CW somewhat but gets stuck just as you see in the pictures above. I'll put it back in time, rotate it ccw 1/4, then try again.

btw, nothing stuck in gears or anything. just checked.

If you are going to redo the timing then make sure each component (pulleys, sprockets) rotate freely before re-installing the belt.

Also make sure that you didn't install any of the pulleys or the thin plate behind the crank sprocket backwards.

timing belt is off and crank still will not make a complete rotation. It did fine before, even when I put the new head on I rotated the pistons to tdc, slapped it on, then put the tbelt on. I have arp head studs with a modified mount.

But that doesn't make sense why the crank would stop turning.

Did you remove the screwdriver that you might have used in the back of the block to keep the rear balance shaft from spinning?
Have you removed the BS belt to see if that frees the crank up?

Put some oil on each cylinder and see if it frees it up a bit. Wait a few minutes so the oil can coat the pistons.

Yup, that's what I just did...

Until I read a few other threads it sparked something...I ran to the car and saw what was holding it..Shifter was in 1st gear!!!! :tease:

Oh man, it was a relief. Thanks guys, I really appreciated all the help. But 1st gear? :rolleyes: :coy:

Yup, that's what I just did...

Until I read a few other threads it sparked something...I ran to the car and saw what was holding it..Shifter was in 1st gear!!!! :tease:

Oh man, it was a relief. Thanks guys, I really appreciated all the help. But 1st gear? :rolleyes: :coy:

Of course, the first gear is very strong. If you lock into 1st gear, obviously you lock the tranny, and when you lock the tranny, you lock the shaft, and it locks the clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel, by doing so since the flywheel is bolted to the crank, then the crank itself would be locked and won´t be able to turn. Please don´t attempt any other timing belt install. J/K, glad you found out. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back