The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Paypal Safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymac40330

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 4, 2007
Harrodsburg, Kentucky
So i have been looking for something to start tuning my car with for a while now when i come across an ad on Craigslist (i know) for an apexi safc2 for $100. I have talked to the guy on several occasions and he seems legit, i was just wondering what to do if he doesn't follow through on his end. I have always had good luck buying used stuff on the internet (knock on wood) and i haven't ever run into any problems. I know there is some kind of "complaint" you can file or something and try to get your money back? Anyway, any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A member of this very board screwed me out of $250 for an ACT clutch. That was the first and last time I let myself get caught in someone elses scam. I used paypal and filed a complaint. The only way you will get your money back if you get screwed is if the seller has money in his paypal account. If he has the money in his paypal account transfered to his bank account rendering his paypal account with a $0 balance, you get nothing, just a little note from paypal saying no further assisstance from you is needed and paypal is working to get your money back. I never received a cent. What really pisses me off is that the member I bought it from was allowed to post in the classifieds but only had 14 posts in the tech forums :notgood: I thought we were being protected here...anyway, use your best judgement when buying online.

95 gsx said:
I thought we were being protected here.
You would be mistaken. This site tries to make it difficult for people to use it to rip others off but like everywhere else it's always buyer beware.

so any advice as to weather or not you guys think i should go through with it? I mean, i have probably got at least 20 emails back and forth about it and he sent me plenty of pics and stuff. I just don't want to lose the money i have been saving, but if its legit i cant pass it up.

Bottom line is I never go through buying online unless I'm convinced I have a way to reach/track the seller other than email. Once you hit Pay you have to figure your money is gone and you better be able to hunt the seller down if they try to stiff you.

Bottom line is I never go through buying online unless I'm convinced I have a way to reach/track the seller other than email. Once you hit Pay you have to figure your money is gone and you better be able to hunt the seller down if they try to stiff you.

Hint: Reverse email search: If you're really serious about getting your money back. :thumb:

and how do i go about doing a "reverse email search"?

I always use a credit card to make my paypal purchases. In case I get scammed, my plan has always been that if paypal won't help I'll call my credit card company and have them reverse the charges. Then it's back on paypal. So far I've never had to try though. :)

You'll never be 100% safe though.

If you can't pick it up at his house, in person, don't buy something like that (an item likely to be under-priced because it doesn't exist) off craigslist.
You have a little more protection through eBay, but only a little.

Best protection? Buy new. Second best? Pay what they're worth.

I don't care for Paypal. About three years ago I was ripped off approx $2700 dollars. I had ordered new turbo kit etc and when I got the "big box" there was a old rusty manifold and two bricks. Yeah I said it, two cinder bricks. So I immediately try to contact the seller who was Paypal Verified. I call his cell phone and his number was disconnected. I went online to a forum and his account was gone. So after two or three emails not being responded to I filed a claim with Paypal. They took five or so days to investigate and they ruled in favor of the "thief"... Why?.... Well, when he shipped out the "items" he got a tracking number and he submitted that tracking number w/ Paypal. After speaking with numerous top level management executives there just wasn't much they would do for me.

So yeah, after that ordeal I will never deal with Paypal again. IMO they didn't work hard enough for me and they just "gave up" after verifying he provided a tracking number.

Google Checkout is what I use now-days.

There is an online service for electronic payments at www.Escrow.com . They hold your money until you receive your goods and inspect them, then send the money on to the seller. That way you don't get screwed.

Find out if the seller will ship COD, its secure for both buyer & seller. Most people get offensive when I ask if they are willing ship COD, its a lack of understanding how it works. In fact, someone on here once though it worked like this...Send product out to me, then I pay "whenever I feel like" yeah right:rolleyes: As if the post office would offer such a service that would be so easily fooled. Anyway, just offering another option that hasn't been mentioned.

alright guys, you may call me dumb for doing this but against my better judgment i sent the $105 for the safc II and the shipping, and i had pretty much (after i sent the money) realized that i just lost $105. Well today, I recieved my Safc II and i was quite surprised that I actually got it. anyway, just wanted to let you all know what happened.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back