The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] no reverse after car is warm (5 speed)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canucatchdis

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2003
Moline, Illinois
Ok, I have searched because I could swear I read an article about this before but maybe not.

My reverse will work just fine when the car is cold (just started).
I cannot go into reverse after I have driven around a bit. The shifter will move into the spot where reverse should be but it acts as if nothing is there. I have looked under the hood to see if my intercooler piping was resting on the shift cables but that is not the case.

Any suggestions?

Well lets start with the easy stuff, have you checked the transmission fluid?

See if you can drain a bit of tranny fluid out and let us know what material appears to be most prevalent...aluminum, brass, steel, etc.
Synthethic fluid? What kind?

I have synthetic fluid in there currently. The fluid is Red Lines MTL. If it has any relation, I have Mobile 1 synthetic 75w 90 in the transfer case.

Could this possibly be a result of the bushings on the end of the shifter cables being warn out?

It could be the teeth are rounded off for rev gear causing engagement issues. Could be a broken shift cable. Could be bad bushings if it is not pushing the lever all the way forward to engage fully into rev. When cold the case is putting slightly tighter preloads on the input shaft, so it could be going into rev easier as the synchro for rev doesn't really have to work as hard. Once warmed up, the synchro needs more pressure in order to work and that needed added pressure might be just enough where the cable is unable to move the shift shaft far enough. I would definitely check cables, brackets, and bushings first...

Jack

Not sure why I thought the problem was only when the car was warm but I got it fixed.
The problem was the clip that holds the shift cable in place was missing. I found one and replaced it. I also did the ballbearing mod which is awsome.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back