The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Need Opinions & Facts PLEASE!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMLIFESTYLE488

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2007
Miami, Florida
Hey tuners! I've had my baby for a while now and i really want to do something to her since im getting my refund. I dont wanna spend too much and i was reading in a magazine (Power Pages) that with just a HKS fuel Cut Defencer:hellyeah:, Holley Fuel Pump:hellyeah:, and Apexi Downpipe:hellyeah: i can make an extra 106HP and 79TQ with just 607$$$WTF!!!!!!. Is that true?????? If it is, please let me in on the info. WTF

I would say negative. You would want a full exhaust and not just a downpipe. Plus a fuel pump is going to raise your horsepower any and I haven't ever heard of a HKS fuel cut defencer so I have no input on that.

Hey tuners! I've had my baby for a while now and i really want to do something to her since im getting my refund. I dont wanna spend too much and i was reading in a magazine (Power Pages) that with just a HKS fuel Cut Defencer:hellyeah:, Holley Fuel Pump:hellyeah:, and Apexi Downpipe:hellyeah: i can make an extra 106HP and 79TQ with just 607$$$WTF!!!!!!. Is that true?????? If it is, please let me in on the info. WTF

Lol Was that in 'import tuner' and it was a 1G?

That was the completely WRONG way to mod that car. Just follow the upgrade path. They got their power from running the boost higher than stock and better flow without the cat. If you upgrade correctly, you won't need that fuel cut defender.

Have you done all the maintenance to your car? People who don't are the ones that complain about the reliability problems with DSMs.

if you do a bigger downpipe, u must do bigger cat back, or you mights as well be running stock exhaust all the way from turbo. talk about restriction. buy some injectors, intake, watermeth, and exhaust, TURBO BACK.

I've read a few different posts about what to expect hp wise w/ what parts.
With an injen type intake, full exhaust w/ no cat, (which would be for off road use only), and a down pipe you only pick up 20-30 hp depending on the dyno.

How much $ do you have to play with?
You should think about what kind of upkeep has been done to your car as well. Maybe instead of a bunch of performance bolt on's you might think about upgrading, preparing or repairing the old motor. Harmonic balancer aka Crank Pulley, alternator, water pump, battery, belts, etc. It might be smart to invest in replacement parts now since you have $ for when you might need them.
A forged internals motor would be nice if you have the dough & down time for that rebuild. Also you'd never have to worry about the strength of the motor when adding power later.

If bolt ons is what you want then consider these options:
I suggest buy a cheap ebay intake pipe w/ k&n type filter($100ish)($50 right now on ebay)
eBay Motors: Eclipse 95 96 97 98 99 Turbo GSX GST 4G63T Air Intake (item 280311267646 end time Feb-14-09 13:12:03 PST)
Mini breather filter for the valve cover($5) Keeps the oil out of the intake track.
Boost gauge & MBC($10-150ish)
Fuel pump rewire kit ($50ish),($30 shipped right now ebay)
eBay Motors: DSM FUEL PUMP REWIRE KIT Eclipse Talon Walbro 255 190 (item 260348607162 end time Feb-16-09 17:09:18 PST)
255lph fuel pump($100ish)($75 through MAPARFORMANCE in the vendors)
Something other than an s-afc for tuning IMO($? depends on what route you go) This will eliminate the need for the FCD by HKS.
A wideband O2 sensor & gauge for tuning($? depends on what route you go)
Exhaust is nice but its like a pull me over for free pass around here. LOL
I kept my stock exhaust and opted for other parts.
:thumb:GL

What they didn't tell you in that article is what the air/fuel ratios were looking like after they rendered the factory air monitoring system blind, put in a fuel pump that overruns the stock regulator, and cranked the boost up to what is practically the limit of the stock turbo.

Have you changed all your belts and fluids? You won't be going anywhere if you eat a timing belt. In the top ten of things I've done with my car is putting full synthetic transmission fluid into the gearbox. skateboard bearing mod to the shifter, and adjusting it to center. I noticed it the very first time taking it out of the garage, and months later it still just feels so good to shift it.

If you've done all the free mods, Turbotemper has it right. The only thing is that the 255 will require a AFPR. I don't care if your cousin and all his friends don't run one, the 255 puts out too much juice for the stock fuel pressure regulator to handle at idle. You'll run pig rich and get carbon all over everything.

Damn i just got done reading a ton of info on the v3 DSMlink.
Wow take your money now and buy that with a set of bigger injectors NOW!:hellyeah:
j/k but it really would be a great addition to your car if you want to learn how your car works & how to tune your own car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back