The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECMlink (RESOLVED) Need help running ECU in DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey_Dsm

Probationary Member
Nov 1, 2021
Layton, Utah, Utah
Now I have ECMLink and know I can just plug it in and it should be a piece of cake from there.

The issue is I have a black box ECU wired in and I’m not sure what the previous owners did to the wiring to use it. They obviously had to rewire a couple things but I’m not sure exactly what it could have been. It's a 1995 GST and I when I connect the ECU with ECMLink it sounds like it’s misfiring and doesn’t start and it won’t connect to my laptop.

It looks like they didn’t move the spark plug wires around so they must’ve done something to the wiring that leads to the ECU, or at least that’s what I’m assuming. I’ve researched until my eyes bled and researched some more but can’t seem to find any answers or posts that are able to help me solve my issue.

I’m new to the site and have always searched before I wanted to post anything so any and all feedback and information will be highly appreciated. here are pictures of where the wiring is tinkered with that I see.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're trying to undo the changes made to put a 98/99 black box ECU into a 95?

The red wire you show you can ignore, it's the flash pin for the BB ECU. I think what you're looking for it to make sure the coil signals are on the correct pins for a 95. Those are on the other big connector.

Does your car have the original engine?

Attachments

• 2GECUPinout.pdf
    261.1 KB · Views: 29
So you're trying to undo the changes made to put a 98/99 black box ECU into a 95?

The red wire you show you can ignore, it's the flash pin for the BB ECU. I think what you're looking for it to make sure the coil signals are on the correct pins for a 95. Those are on the other big connector.

Does your car have the original engine?
That’s is correct.

The owner I bought it from had bought a motor and had it installed by a shop. I don’t exactly know the year it is from but I know that it has a cam angle sensor that looks like it’s from a 1g. And they had wired in a tach adapter as well but I’m not sure if that’s too important.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you have the spark plug wires correctly on the car? just out of curiousity have you checked to see if the PO swaped the actual coil locations on the bracket? since its a 1g CAS you need to remember that when setting it up.

Also is it a true 95 EPROM ECU that has the DSMLink or is a 96/97 ECU with the motherboard soldered on, shouldn't be a problem either way but its always good to know.

That’s is correct
The owner I bought it from had bought a motor and had it installed by a shop. I don’t exactly know the year it is from but I know that it has a cam angle sensor that looks like it’s from a 1g. And they had wired in a tach adapter as well but I’m not sure if that’s too important.
if you can post a pic of the engine bay we can tell you if its a 7 or a 6 bolt, since its in a 2g itll be super easy, if its a 6 bolt in it youll have one bell housing bolt on the front of the block that doesnt go anywhere on the block, and if its stock intakes the 6 bolt would say ECI MULTI and the 7 bolt would have that bellhousing bolt in use and nothing written on the intake. theres other tall tale signs but these are the easiest to look at with a glance

So you have the spark plug wires correctly on the car? just out of curiousity have you checked to see if the PO swaped the actual coil locations on the bracket? since its a 1g CAS you need to remember that when setting it up.

Also is it a true 95 EPROM ECU that has the DSMLink or is a 96/97 ECU with the motherboard soldered on, shouldn't be a problem either way but its always good to know.
When the black box ECU is connected it starts right up and when I look at the engine bay everything looks all correct with the spark plug wiring. But when I plug in the DSMLink ECU it doesn’t want to start up and sputters. I haven’t yet checked to see if the PO swapped the coil locations but it is something I thought might be the cause of the issue. Not sure if the DSMLink I bought is a true 95 EPROM but I still have the stock ECU, that isn’t the black box, that came with the car. I just haven’t had the time to check it quite yet since it’s still bolted up in its factory location.

I’ll make sure to check out the coil locations sometime this week and see if that’s the case and see if it resolves my issue

if you can post a pic of the engine bay we can tell you if its a 7 or a 6 bolt, since its in a 2g itll be super easy, if its a 6 bolt in it youll have one bell housing bolt on the front of the block that doesnt go anywhere on the block, and if its stock intakes the 6 bolt would say ECI MULTI and the 7 bolt would have that bellhousing bolt in use and nothing written on the intake. theres other tall tale signs but these are the easiest to look at with a glance
Here’s a picture of the engine bay. Started off on a N/A model and have now bought a turbo model. I have a 1st gen and 2nd gen So I’m still relatively new to the whole 4g63 engine layout and turbocharged models so please forgive me if I’m not at all too familiar with the difference between the 6 bolt and 7 bolt differences.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back