1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

[RESOLVED] JB weld (how to get it off)

Posted by dsmulla, Dec 22, 2007

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. dsmulla

dsmulla Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2007
    Scarborough,
    Jb weld, I know its great and all the threads that have looked through have proven that. Is there anyway to get that stuff of?

The guy who dropped the motor in my car JB welded the oil drain line that comes from the turbo at the oil pan. I can see the two bolts but there is JB weld around them. I am guessing heating it up would help as I read somewhere online before that once you heat it up it becomes like chalk and a person can scrape it away.

I just need a little more insight into the matter? Would a heat gun be enough and is it safe to apply heat where the drain line meets the oil pan.

Thanks in advance
    Osman

P.S No I can't take it back to the mechanic, its a long story.

279  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. winterftbl

winterftbl Proven Member

Joined Sep 7, 2005
    santa ana, California
    Heating it up would help, but be careful not to melt anything under there, after that you should be able scrape it off. Also you could try to use some paint thinner if you dont want to heat it.

3. dsmsucks

dsmsucks Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2005
    Rochester, New York
    What a ####in dummy? Really, why would you bond something like that with jb weld. I dont know what to say. If you add heat to it, you will most likely melt the everything in sight. Paint thinner would be the best bet

302  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. dsmulla

dsmulla Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2007
    Scarborough,
    Yeah, I really don't want to get into that again. I gave the guy an ear full when I talked to him. However, so you guys think paint thinner will work? Any other suggestions.

279  0

manual · 2G DSM
  5. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2003
    glorious Galt, California
    Do you have to take the drain off? If not, leave it. Otherwise, you can try unbolting it, but I'll bet the heads just twist off. Use a six-point socket or wrench.

3K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. thekellbeast

thekellbeast Proven Member

Joined Jun 28, 2003
    Portland, Maine
    JB Weld can be drilled and tapped, so I'm betting that its formed a 'gasket' and is sealed around the threads of the bolts. The bolts will probably also just thread back out of it.

7. allwheelTSI

allwheelTSI Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2002
    Hendersonville, North Carolina
    Go to lowes or home depot and look in their paint department, look for a smallish blue metal can made by Klean-Strip, it'll say aircraft stripper or aircraft paint remover. It's thick stuff you can blot it on where the JB is and let it sit about 2 hours and then the JB Weld will be soft like silly putty.

Be Careful if you use it, the stuff is heavy duty and will burn your hands if not washed off fast enough.

495  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. dsmulla

dsmulla Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2007
    Scarborough,
    UPDATE:
    Ok guys, thanks for all your help and the paint thinner worked great. I put some in a spray bottle. sprayed and the JB Weld just started to chip away. AllwheelTSI, thanks for your input and I was considering that but that price of that stuff didn't favour me for this particular situation.

The two 10mm bolts have been stripped (atleast thats what I think) and I am willing bet thats why the mechanic JB welded the drain line. Both bolts seem to just spinning in one place and don't come out.

Any suggestions on what to do now? Drilling and tapping, is that the only option I have?

Cheers
    Osman

279  0

manual · 2G DSM
  9. slowgsr

slowgsr Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2007
    hamilton, ON, Canada
    you could drill and tap out to the next size bigger or you could use a helicoil and keep the same size.

im not exactly sure on the part your talking about since im new to dsm's, so it really depends how much meat you have on the part/area to redrill and tap.

You could always JB weld in some studs and use nuts, if theres room? Again im not too sure on the part just trying to throw out some idea's.

Goodluck!

10. dsmulla

dsmulla Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2007
    Scarborough,
    There is not a lot of meat there, thats for sure. If you read my initial post, you would get an idea of what part I am talking about but anybody else have any other insight?

279  0

manual · 2G DSM
  11. red97gsx

red97gsx Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2007
    eastern, Connecticut
    Shy of pulling the pan it will be difficult to do it right. If your pan is like mine, their are only nuts welded on the back of the pan, so their is not alot of meat to try to drill oversize and put a heli-coil. They may be stripped or the welds on the nuts may have broke and they are spinning as a unit. If you cut the heads of the bolts off you will be able to tell if the nuts are broke free, but at that point pulling the pan will be necessary. Sorry, but i can't think of a better surefire way to fix it properly with out pulling the pan. Good luck and let us know how you make out