The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Intercooler Q??????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intercoolers are used to remove the heat of the intake charge after it exits the turbo. A turbo compresses the air, and when this happens it heats up the air. this is bad for the engine so we need to cool it back down to as close to ambient as possible. That is what an intercooler does. You could technically put an intercooler on a n/t, but in that case i think you would call it a precooler. it would be more of a hindrance than a help, as it would be a large restriction in your intake path, and the air is already at ambient.

happy dsming

Here we go

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

off another forumROFL

Electronic bov imitator takes the cake, I can't remember where I saw that one. As for an intercooler on a nt, would a non turbo car actually benefit from that.

Better than cold air intake I guess.

It wouldn't benefit. Its like drinking from a very long straw. It takes a lot more effort. On turbo cars, the air gets pushed to the engine through the piping, on n/t cars it has to get sucked by the engine. In the pictures, the intercooler is cooling the air between it and the .5" of pipe from the filter.

Electronic bov imitator takes the cake, I can't remember where I saw that one. As for an intercooler on a nt, would a non turbo car actually benefit from that.

Better than cold air intake I guess.

if the pipe was super short and non restrictive its possible. But being the i/c is metal surrounded by a hot engine, doubt it.

nah i think it would be too much of a restriction. plust the pipe length n all. then if you wanna get technical the wieght and blocking your radiator blah blah. just leave the pipe with the filter would be best in that case.

i just noticed that the subbie in the first pic actually gots a BOV on it too LOL.

Actually dude. there are charge pipes you can get that looks like an intercooler. Iit's just an air intake that takes the densest air it can from the front of the car, just like an intercooler but for a N/T. I think seen it through JC whitney. I think

I think you are talking about one of these...
eBay Motors: Front Mount Air Intake TypeX Civic 96-00 HX/EX (15-556) (item 130054877834 end time Mar-26-08 16:35:49 PDT)

The extra long piping and intercooler would be a big restriction in the pics above...

It wouldn't matter how long the pipe is or how big the IC is: An intercooler uses ambient air to cool super-heated air. Putting an air filter on the end of an intercooler and using that as an intake just means that ambient air will be inside the intercooler as well as outside it, thus, no temperature difference. No temp difference = no gain or loss of power period.

It wouldn't matter how long the pipe is or how big the IC is: An intercooler uses ambient air to cool super-heated air. Putting an air filter on the end of an intercooler and using that as an intake just means that ambient air will be inside the intercooler as well as outside it, thus, no temperature difference. No temp difference = no gain or loss of power period.

I was talking about a restriction due to longer pipes and an the intercooler slowing down the air velocity in an n/a

I was talking about a restriction due to longer pipes and an the intercooler slowing down the air velocity in an n/a

+1

I used to have a 420 with both a short ram air & a cold air intake. When I installed the cold air, throttle response was slower, but it pulled more at the top. Vice versa when the short ram air was installed. With all that piping and an intercooler, it will suffer significantly in throttle response, and since it is just as effective as a cold air intake in cooling air, it won't pull harder than a cold air intake. (it will pull less because of the restrictiveness)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back