The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Holset HX55?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peypey's ride

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
Lilly Lake, Illinois
Ok, well, I have looked for a bit and only found info on HX35, HY35 and HX40. Can anyone tell me anything, what so ever, about the HX55? Has anyone used it before and if so what are the charactoristics? I just came across one, and its BIG! I am trying to do some research on it before making up my mind on what to do with it. Thanks ahead of time.

Ok, well, I have looked for a bit and only found info on HX35, HY35 and HX40. Can anyone tell me anything, what so ever, about the HX55? Has anyone used it before and if so what are the charactoristics? I just came across one, and its BIG! I am trying to do some research on it before making up my mind on what to do with it. Thanks ahead of time.
You'll need major mods to support it ,possibly even bigger displacement and higher compression if you want it to spool up a lil quicker. Plus say hello to LAG!!!

What are your goals?

It's a T6 footprint, 25cm^2 exhaust housing. 65mm inducer and 100mm exducer on the compressor. Flows 99 lbs/min

Are you trying to go after shep?

It's about the size or a GT4202. Considering that the HX40 outspools the GT35R and is capable of putting out more power I can't assure you that will be true for the HX55 as opposed to the GT4202.

It you want a more decisive gaurantee that a turbo that outspool the GT4202 and is capable of putting te same power or more I'd go with the Borg Warner S372 or s374.

I have tried finding the link on dsmtimes.org but could not again. But I remember reading a couple of years back about an evo3 running an HX55 at 18psi, and that thing pulled off a 10 second quarter mile at 18psi. So it seems to make good power.

Well the hotside is a T6. Where can I find a different turbune housing that will fit and have a T4 flange?

You can try picking up an hx40 turbine housing which has a divided t4 inlet and have it cut to fit the hx55. . . Like this I would run

-no less than 1000cc injectors
-a true divided runner exhaust manifold
-twin external wastegates or an external wastegate with port that is divided to the flapper
-no less than race fuel or water/meth injection with a HUGE frontmount and safety measures incorperated in the injection kit
-no less than both hks 272s, not just the exhaust
-race sheet metal intake maanifold
-built transmission capable of 700ft-lbs of torque

Easily another 4000 to 5000 to spend to merit using this turbo.

What are your goals? You have a setup that can work fairly well with an hx40 6-blade. With the bolton housing, these have done 650whp. You'll need more injector. And still a transmission upgrade. With the cams you currently have the hx40 with the bolton bep housing will have GREAT street manners. You'll still need bigger injectors and an external gate off the o2 housing or welded to the evo3 exhaust manifold you already have. But I can see a stock 1g intake manifold doing OK with the hx40, if you're willing to pour on the boost and shift at or below the stock rev limit as the cams you have should still deliver broad powerband with the faster spool of the hx40 in the bolton housing. This will save you 1500 bones or so.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you at all. This turbo should do quite a bit better than the gt40r and still spool the same or sooner if you use a divided runner manifold. It will be one he!! of a turbo. And you have the block built for it.

I have a HX55 myself mine is 75mm & 100mm still building everything. Go to the RX7 forums those guys are running them like nuts, according to them its equivalent to an gt42 but spools a lot sooner. Glad to see someone else thats about to run it:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back