The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] Higway stall, now won't start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LASER4G63T

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2005
Fort Worth, Texas
Alright Ladies and Gents I have a weekend problem for you to help me solve.

I was driving on I-30 at 70mph, Radio and A/C on, when my car dies. The gas pedal still produced a response from the engine (audible) but the gauges showed nothing (I am assuming because I was in gear coasting so the engine was still turning). So I coast to a stop in the shoulder with my hazards on. As the car stops, so does the engine.

I originally thought alternator...but the car cranks and it also seems to function..just not start.

I haven't been able to check spark/fuel/etc but I was hoping you guys/gals may have some experience with a similar issue.

You serious or kidding? I have a half tank.

I checked the electrical connections while i waited for the tow truck. That's pretty much it.

In the morning I am going to check basics (spark, Fpressure, etc). Then maybe I'll have some more info to help me on. This isn't probably enough.

I'd check:
A) Boost leak
B) Caps on ECU
C) Fuel pump

If you blew an IC pipe while you were on the highway, it would stall out. Usually it would start back up, it would just die as soon as you gave it gas. Worth a look, in either case. Caps on the ECU would definitely cause this problem, however.

Thanks guys.

Well I pulled the timing belt cover and it is shot. Still one piece..but melted and frayed. I don't know if this was part of the problem or caused by the problem.

Well, looks like I had a bearing or two fail in the tensioner pulley....

I tried looking around and haven't found much in terms of my specific questions.

My tensioner pulley blew its bearings at 70 mph on the highway. The timing belt burned up. I've taken the belt, and pulley off and also did a leak down test and I could blow through the spark plug holes (valves "closed") on cylinders 1,2, and 4.

What is the typical damage when this happens? Is it usually just head/valve damage or is there enough interferance that the lower part of the engine suffers also?

Thanks for your help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back