The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] HELP- 4G37 (1.8L) Lifter Installation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demon33

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 11, 2008
Southern, California
I have a lot of experience with the 4G63 engine, but I've never worked on a 4G37 (1991 1.8L) before. A good friend asked me if I would replace his noisy lifters.

I have a PDF copy of the FSM, but it's not very clear on the procedure for replacing the lash adjusters/ lifters. Before I crack open the cylinder head cover, I'd like to know if there are some general do's and dont's, things to watch out for, tips and tricks, etc.

From what I can tell, I think the rocker arm assembly needs to come out as a whole before you can get to the lifters. Do I need to remove the timing belt in order to replace the lifters? Is there a way to replace each lifter without removing the rocker arm assembly? I have the valve compressor tool for the 4G63 motor. Would this be useful for the 4G37 to get the lifters out?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
4G37 Lifter replacement is a piece of cake to do. Did my daughter's car since she had 3 lifters that were bad.

Have the setup in TDC with no.1 cylinder so all the cam rockers are relaxed. This also relaxes the cam so it won't have the chance of popping up when you take off the rocker assembly since this also contains the bearing area, esp in front that holds the cam in position in the head.

Loosen all of the 10mm hold down bolts, that holds down the rocker assembly, starting in the middle and go clockwise in a circular motion, with the loosening.

After all have been loosened, then remove the bolts (some might be in different lengths, so pay attention where they go) and remove the rocker assembly by lifting straight up. Some of the lifters will fall out when doing this.

4G37 lifters don't need to be bled like the 4G63 lifters, thus they can be immediately installed in their sockets..

When putting in the lifters, hold them in place with rubber bands, for they'll love to fall out when trying to put the rocker assembly back on.

Lay the rocker assembly over the cam and drop in the bolts through their respective holes. Now, is when you can remove the rubber bands.

Snug down the center bolt, but don't tighten and repeat the process clockwise until all bolts are in, but just lightly snug.

Then, repeat the process with torquing the bolts down, again in clockwise direction, with 15ft lbs using a torque wrench.

Now, when you put things back together and fire up the motor, thing will tick like Gregory Hines on a serious caffiene trip until the oil gets up to the rockers and fill each lifter. Then, one by one, each lifter will start to quiet down until all will quiet down and runs very smoothly.

..piece of cake.

Good luck-DSM

4G37 Lifter replacement is a piece of cake to do. Did my daughter's car since she had 3 lifters that were bad.

Have the setup in TDC with no.1 cylinder so all the cam rockers are relaxed. This also relaxes the cam so it won't have the chance of popping up when you take off the rocker assembly since this also contains the bearing area, esp in front that holds the cam in position in the head.

Loosen all of the 10mm hold down bolts, that holds down the rocker assembly, starting in the middle and go clockwise in a circular motion, with the loosening.

After all have been loosened, then remove the bolts (some might be in different lengths, so pay attention where they go) and remove the rocker assembly by lifting straight up. Some of the lifters will fall out when doing this.

4G37 lifters don't need to be bled like the 4G63 lifters, thus they can be immediately installed in their sockets..

When putting in the lifters, hold them in place with rubber bands, for they'll love to fall out when trying to put the rocker assembly back on.

Lay the rocker assembly over the cam and drop in the bolts through their respective holes. Now, is when you can remove the rubber bands.

Snug down the center bolt, but don't tighten and repeat the process clockwise until all bolts are in, but just lightly snug.

Then, repeat the process with torquing the bolts down, again in clockwise direction, with 15ft lbs using a torque wrench.

Now, when you put things back together and fire up the motor, thing will tick like Gregory Hines on a serious caffiene trip until the oil gets up to the rockers and fill each lifter. Then, one by one, each lifter will start to quiet down until all will quiet down and runs very smoothly.

..piece of cake.

Good luck-DSM

Thanks for the help and information. I got the job done today and it was really easy to do.

For the most part, your instructions are correct. However, I did not have to completely remove the rocker arm assembly to get to the lifters. After removing the driver's side engine mount, I removed the valve cover as well as the timing belt inspection cover to expose the cam gear. Behind the cam gear are two small screws which I removed. Next, I removed the two smaller screws of the rocker arm assembly clostest to the cam gear. Then I simply loosened, but did not remove the rest of the screws securing the rocker arm assembly and gently pryed the assembly up, away from the cam. This created enough room for me to just lift up on each rocker arm one by one to remove each lifter and replace it with a new one. Then I just pressed each rocker arm down onto the valve stem to keep the newly installed lifter from falling out. Once all lifters were replaced I torqued all bolts to spec in the proper order.

You're right, the lifters ticked at first startup but surely enough they quieted down as they completely filled with oil. The difference was "night and day". My friend is a very happy camper now! Thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back