The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G RESOLVED - ECMLink Cable caused car to go limp - NO POWER???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMJDSM

Proven Member
Aug 9, 2018
Riverside, California
So thanks to luv2rallye and asexton6969 I got the 30amp ignition short problem solved last weekend on my newly purchased 97 GSX. Once fixed the car started right up and ran great so far this week. I am working on all of the maintenance for the car and trying to get set up with DSMLink on my laptop. The car came with ECU chipped with ECMLink and came with the connection cord.

I downloaded the most recent application and driver for Mac from the ECMLink website and read the wiki and quick start pages. (I have OS is 10.13.6 and Yes I have a Mac :hellyeah:) I also opened the ECU to be sure I had the proper chip in the proper placement based on the photos on the ECMLink website. All looked good!

I turned the ignition to "ON" and plugged in the OBD2 side of the cable. As soon as I plugged in the USB cable into my computer and before I could even try clicking "connect" on the application the car made a couple of clicking sounds and the dash lights flashed and now the car is dead!

No action whatsoever when the key is turned to ACC or ON. I used an automotive test light to confirm all the fuses and relay terminals are receiving power and no fuses are blown from what I can tell. I am not sure how to test the relays.

Now thew car is in worse shape from when I bought it! At least ACC worked when I bought it! :banghead:

I searched on here and on google and the buzzes and clicks might indicate a problem with the ECU itself. However, the car ran fine all week and even completely unplugged I still have no power to anything when the key is turned to ACC or ON.

Any ideas? Did some master relay or switch blow out that I am not aware of?

Also, I know the car's OBD2 port connector does in fact work because I took the car to Autozone to find out what code the engine was throwing - EGR which was to be expected given the smog equipment has been removed. Any help would be much appreciated!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also forgot to mention that none of the lights turn on when the doors are open, no beeping when the key is left in the ignition, nothing.

Check your battery connections and charge level. You should be getting some interior lights unless the whole harness shorted out or the battery is disconnected. Verify the alternator fuse is still good as well

Thank you, the ground wire down by the starter was almost cut in half because it was frayed so bad. Got a new battery also to be safe. Car started up!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back