The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] Chemistry help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992awdlaser

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2004
Wallace, North_Carolina
I need some help with a couple of problems because I missed a class when this stuff was covered.

Write stoichiometric equivalent relations between the following:

1. C4H8 and O2(g)

2. C4H8 and CO2(g)

3. O2(g) and CO2(g)

Write the net Ionic equation for the reaction of iron(II) bromide and potassium hydroxide. FeBr3 + KOH -------> KFe + Br3OH

You can explain the process if you want but I don't care if you do. Any help is much appreciated.

I need some help with a couple of problems because I missed a class when this stuff was covered.

Write the stoichiometric equivalent relations between the following:

1. C4H8 and O2(g)

2. C4H8 and CO2(g)

3. O2(g) and CO2(g)

Write the net Ionic equation for the reaction of iron(II) bromide and potassium hydroxide. FeBr3 + KOH -------> KFe + Br3OH

You can explain the process if you want but I don't care if you do. Any help is much appreciated.

1. C4H8 and O2(g)

2. C4H8 and CO2(g)

3. O2(g) and CO2(g)

First is a simple combustion reaction
1. (C4H8) + 6(O2) --> 4(CO2) + 4(H2O)
It's just regular balancing reaction. I looked at the left side and saw 4 carbons, so I put 4 carbons on the right. Then I looked at oxygen on the right and saw 12, so you need 6 O2 on the left. This worked out pretty well.

The second and third reactions don't jump out at me so I'll leave that for someone else.

1. C4H8 and O2(g)

2. C4H8 and CO2(g)

3. O2(g) and CO2(g)

First is a simple combustion reaction
1. (C4H8) + 6(O2) --> 4(CO2) + 4(H2O)
It's just regular balancing reaction. I looked at the left side and saw 4 carbons, so I put 4 carbons on the right. Then I looked at oxygen on the right and saw 12, so you need 6 O2 on the left. This worked out pretty well.

The second and third reactions don't jump out at me so I'll leave that for someone else.

I don't think they are about writing the balanced equations. The "stoichiometric equivalent relations" makes me think that. Plus the problem right above them said to right the balanced equation for #1. Thanks though

Pat, what Chemistry are you in? That will help me better help you. I'm in the second part of Organic right now so I could definitely help you out. Shoot me a PM.

Write the stoichiometric equivalent relations between the following:
I'm guessing you meant reaction?

1. C4H8 and O2(g)
C4H8 + 6O2 => 4C02 + 4H20
2. C4H8 and CO2(g)
No clue. Even a google search doesn't help. Are you sure you copied this right?
3. O2(g) and CO2(g)
No clue - There's no driving force to the reaction. My guess would be "no reaction".

??? What?

FeBr2 + 2KOH => 2KBr + Fe(OH)2 Is the reaction (remember iron II is 2+)

Fe(2+) + 2OH(-) => Fe(OH)2 Is the net ionic equation. KBr stays dissolved. Fe(OH)2 precipitates.

EDIT: K and Fe are both positive ions (cations). Br and OH are negative ions (anions). In your equation (FeBr3 + KOH -------> KFe + Br3OH) you had 2 cations and 2 anions bonding.

I could have probably helped you last year but I have forgotten most of that by now and stoichiometry was not something that I was good at. You don't have set amounts of each reactant to actually figure out a problem here so I'm unsure of what is actually being asked, are you just being asked to create a balanced equation and then come up with the mass? My suggestion is get a good pair of glasses so you can see farther come test day. Also remember that while all of chemistry is cumulative 9/10 exam questions really aren't.

Alright I started with googling stoichiometric equivalence and this is what I got:

* The equivalence point is the point at which a stoichiometrically equivalent amount of base has been added to the acid. It does not mean that pH will be necessarily 7.
* This situation can be identified by noting an appropriate (pH-induced) color change in an indicator dye that is added to the solution. Or a pH meter can be used to measure the pH of the solution as a function of added base
* A graph or plot of the pH as a function of added titrant (e.g. base solution) is called a titration curve A titration curve can help to figure out when the equivalence point occurs, and also the value of the acid or base dissociation constant (i.e. Ka, or Kb). The titration curve can also help identify what type of indicator dye would be most useful in following the acid-base neutralization reaction

Some educated guesses later and I come to the conclusion that we are looking for a molar ratio so I would start out with a reaction involving 1 mole of either reactant and solve to find the stoichiometric value of the other reactant.

I could be wrong though since I am really just making things up so you are on your own.

Figured them out guys.

1-3 were in regards to the chemical equation in the question before it. C4H8 + 6O2 --> 4CO2 + 4H2O

They are as follows:

1. 1 mole C4H8 = 6 moles O2
2. 1 mole C4H8 = 4 moles CO2
3. 6 moles O2 = 4 moles CO2

The net ionic equation I got from somebody else I know. knochgoon24's looks like what I wrote down.

Figured them out guys.

1-3 were in regards to the chemical equation in the question before it. C4H8 + 6O2 --> 4CO2 + 4H2O

They are as follows:

1. 1 mole C4H8 = 6 moles O2
2. 1 mole C4H8 = 4 moles CO2
3. 6 moles O2 = 4 moles CO2

The net ionic equation I got from somebody else I know. knochgoon24's looks like what I wrote down.

Ah, now that makes more sense. Is this and intro chem class? If it is, I hope you have a fun professor. That can make all the difference. My chem teacher in high school was awesome and she made it a lot of fun. (Can you say 3' diameter fire bubbles of burning hydrogen?)

It is chm151. They have a few below it. This was the only one for the semester so I figured I would give it a try. First chemistry class for me, never had it in high school. Teacher sucks in one way, he goes over about 10 pages worth of notes per class and never goes back over it. You basically have to teach yourself from the book because he just talks.

It is chm151. They have a few below it. This was the only one for the semester so I figured I would give it a try. First chemistry class for me, never had it in high school. Teacher sucks in one way, he goes over about 10 pages worth of notes per class and never goes back over it. You basically have to teach yourself from the book because he just talks.

Welcome to modern "schooling". Not to be confused with "teaching". Make sure that check doesn't bounce.

Oh ya :hellyeah: My chem teacher did this as well and almost set the ceiling on fire. He left a nice big brown circle though. This and the hydrogen canon were very cool demonstrations.

Damn my chem teacher in high school was a boring fcuk. He could barely speak english and just started. Last I heard, he got fired after my year.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back