The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECMlink [RESOLVED] Car backfires into boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTSi_97

10+ Year Contributor
May 15, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Does anyone have any idea why the car is doing this? If you look at the RPM value, you can see what I mean. It's weird...it still slowly climbs. I could only get a second gear run of this up to 4900 so as to not break anything.

One pull sounded like it anti-lag. Seriously. It was loud as hell. Just a series of loud backfires. This pull right here wasn't so bad and let me keep going a little bit.

I have went over just about everything I can think of. I am at a loss on this one.

Decided to do a little double checking and the place that I took it to have my Kelford 272 cams installed DID NOT put the spark plugs in they said they did. My old, crusty BR7ES plugs where in there and the gap was around .28. Went and bought some BR8ES plugs, gapped them at around .22 and the car is 10x better.:hellyeah:

So if anyone has anything crazy like this, double double check that all your stuff is right. Can't trust everyone to do what they say they did:banghead: I would have done it all myself, but was on vacation and wanted to chill and let someone else work on it for a while.

I do have a question....since the BR8ES is a colder plug, was the BR7ES plug getting too hot and causing some sort of pre ignition???

Thanks,

Brandon

Attachments

• stutter.elg
    14.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back