The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] 270* vs. 360* Thrust Bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMunknown

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Worcester, Massachusetts
I have recently been reading about center housing and rotating assemblies (CHRA) and was wondering if certain turbochargers could have their 270 degree thrust bearings "upgraded" to the better-performing 360 degree bearings. Here are a few tidbits of what I have read so far:

Mark Warner said:
Most conventional journal bearing turbos use a 270-degree thrust-bearing washer, while many of the new breed of turbos employ 360-degree thrust bearings. The advantages of a 360-degree bearing include a full circle of lubrication, more orifices on the washer, and an updated pad strategy to better disperse oil where it's needed.

For everyone's reference, a 270 degree thrust bearing is on the left, and a 360 degree thrust bearing is on the right in the photo below:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mr. Warner also states that the "thrust bearing provides axial support and positioning of [the] shaft and wheels." He also notes that "the most common place for failure in a turbocharger CHRA is at the thrust bearing." So on to my question - is it feasible/conceivable/possible to upgrade the thrust bearings that a particular turbo comes with (assuming that the thrust bearing is a 270 degree bearing)? That is to say, it is a simple swap of the bearings to achieve this, or would it conflict with other turbo components that I'm not foreseeing?

I have looked through the archives, and have found only two threads that regard thrust bearings. Thread 1 and thread 2. Now John (DSM90AWD) has partially answered my question, however I have never come across such an option when browsing over potential turbochargers and the options provided.

I am particularly interested if the thrust bearing in an Evo III 16G can be "upgraded" to a 360 degree bearing.

Mitsu turbos have a 360* thrust bearing already ;)

Forced Performance's 14B/16G rebuild Kit:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Forced Performance does have a propriatary Mitsu "Monster Thrust Bearing" that comes std with their Red/Green model turbos. Might want to contact them if interested in having yours rebuilt with one (if that is your intention) :dsm:

DSM90AWD said:
Mitsu turbos have a 360* thrust bearing already ;)

Woohoo! (<---Kenny imitation)

That's good news. Thanks John for the heads-up.

DSM90AWD said:
Forced Performance does have a propriatary Mitsu "Monster Thrust Bearing" that comes std with their Red/Green model turbos. Might want to contact them if interested in having yours rebuilt with one (if that is your intention) :dsm:

Actually, no rebuild is necessary at this time. I was simply wondering (and hoping) that certain turbos came with 360* bearings. It wouldn't have surprised me if the Mitsubishi turbos (other than the exotics) only came with 270* bearings. Just trying to cover all the angles when I do finally purchase a turbo. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back