The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] 16g options. Need opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't think you can buy a FP 18G without a 34mm flapper, if that's what you're asking.

No i was asking if it was worth the extra 100. It says on fp's page it has an improved ported wastegate exit and a better flapper which is the 34mm one.

I had a question along these lines. I have a turbo advertised as a MHI 16G but based on the price I got it for it is probably a knockoff.

The turbo works fine, but it creeps to 20 PSI. Yes, I was running a 3" exhaust with a stock O2 housing, and yes I was running low boost.

In my current build, I am fabricating a much better O2 housing/downpipe, and I will be running 20 PSI, but I don't want to creep there... Considering that I will be using an EMS with boost cut if knock occurs.

I noticed that the wastegate flapper only opens about halfway when the actuator is installed. Opens fine without the actuator, which makes me think the actuator itself is giving me the problems.

Have others noticed this in the 16G?

I noticed that the wastegate flapper only opens about halfway when the actuator is installed. Opens fine without the actuator, which makes me think the actuator itself is giving me the problems.

Have others noticed this in the 16G?
Do some reading and you'll find out it's no secret:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...boost-creep-modified-wga-peepers-mod-how.html

However, even the guy who went through the trouble to design such an awesome wastegate actuator is still having creep issues even with one installed on his 14B:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/blogs/mr-peepers/455-boost-creep.html

I'm convinced that while the distance the flapper opens may have something to do with controlling creep, it's still not as measurable as an exhaust system with too little restriction.

Cool, thanks. I will read up on that. Hopefully my new downpipe wil cure my creep issues.

The time is almost coming for my evo3 16g to be had, already have my 2g install kit and j-pipe, just awaiting the turbo.
I had a question or two that has been bugging the hell out of me, here goes :
1 - Why would vendors sell an install kit that feeds the turbo from the oil filter housing knowing that it would be better off to supply the one from the head.
2 - Would it really make a big impact on the turbo's life feeding it from the oil filter housing, and if so how bad would the life expectancy be ? And do the provided bolts bring some type of restrictor built in within the fitting ? I don't think so but just wanted to ask out of curiosity.

Thanks again for any help.

Most kits run the feed line from the OFH. I just found a thread on why these kits ran it from there.....of course I couldn't tell you why because I forgot already. haha

Keep your $100 from having a shop port it for you. Go to home depot or something, get a carbide burr, port the hot side yourself. It took me about 3 hours of work total, and that was making sure I "polished" it down to a smooth finish.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turbo-system-tech/290438-rate-my-porting.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...oler/186525-how-cure-boost-creep-porting.html

Had a question that was itching me guys.
Lets say i had my complete fuel system done with an safc2 tuned and all ready to work with 20-22 psi.
In addition to this, i wanted to run instead of a external wastegate, keep using my internal wastegate but with a vented o2 housing. will this work just as good ?

It won't work as well as an external gate but it will be better than an internal o2 housing. I run a 14b with a 16g hotside at 20psi, I have an ebay dumped o2 housing, a megan racing 3in downpipe, and a muffler on the end of the downpipe dumping under the car, so I would say that my exhaust restriction is pretty minimal and I have no creep issues.

Boost spike on the other hand. :cry:

If you run anywhere in the 20-25psi range you won't have any problems with creep. If you're trying to keep the turbo at 15lbs then it's a different story. For some reason people always seem to think the more boost they run the bigger their wastegate needs to be. When it's truely the opposite. Less boost = more wastegate action.

I had problems with creep on my S16G at anything under 20lbs. Then again I could regulate it with my right foot. ;)

Thank guys. I guess i will just go with external wastegate.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back