The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Research: Engine Experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr1665

DSM N/T Wiseman
DSM Wiseman
Jan 6, 2003
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm doing a little research for Mitsubishi Gearbox Magazine.
Share your thoughts?

Engine Experts
- What makes someone an expert?
- What do they know how to do?
- How long have they been doing it?
- What accomplishments are a must?

Anything else?

Thanks.

I'm doing a little research for Mitsubishi Gearbox Magazine.
Share your thoughts?

Engine Experts
- What makes someone an expert? get's it right the first time
- What do they know how to do? tear down and rebuild 100%
- How long have they been doing it? about 1 years plus
- What accomplishments are a must? electrical stuff, past builds,

Anything else?

Thanks.

If you meant the engine is what I'm referring to.

Anything else... eemmm specs. I know different car have different specs.

Thanks for the reply, Korrey. Appreciate it.

Its seems even a backyard mechanic can build a 4g63 and run 10s but its the people that runs 10s on setups that make you shake your head and they do it every weekend. Its pretty easy to pick out the experts in this community. John shep, Curt Brown, David Buschur, ect ect.. Their the guys that started the movement and make awesome power consistently. Building an engine isn't hard.. But building an engine as effiecent as those guys build them is the hard part. I still can't figure out how those guys put down the numbers they do.

While I'm nowhere near the level of even being noted as decent when it comes to engines, I find that the following applies to those who would be an 'expert'.

- What makes someone an expert? When it comes to this, I don't feel that being able to rattle off numbers or knowledge on the drop of a dime really determines if someone is an 'expert'. I feel that the defining point of noting anyone with such a highly qualified titles comes with their ability to think rationally, give definitive answers, and cover all of the bases of their points with fact. It's someone who can take a look at something and be determined to either improve it, fix it, or learn from it. Experts are those who not only improve the way that they work, but also those around them by sharing their knowledge.

- What do they know how to do? Well, considering that to be expert you should have a vast amount of knowledge in a certain field, I feel it's necessary that they know not only how to tear an engine apart, but how to repair, modify, research, address, and refine every piece of said engine before putting it back together -successfully-. They should know the functions of all internals, the science behind how an engine works, and also both the pros and cons of certain modifications that can be done to the engine.

- How long have they been doing it? You can't really put a number on this. Some take longer than others, where as someone might be able to get the most advanced aspects of an engine memorized in a year.. someone who is more careful and casual about their work may take 3-5 years to feel as if they've accomplished enough to be considered an expert.

- What accomplishments are a must? I feel that a complete teardown of at least more than one engine, and a complete rebuild of the engine. They should also have experience building a stock engine as well as a modified engine for higher power output. Basically, en expert would be considered one who has knowledge over a vast range of information regarding the engine opposed to a specific area of it.

^^; Hope that was helpful?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back