The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Replacing Upper And Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets-

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ortiz

Proven Member
Jun 23, 2019
Hustontown, Pennsylvania
I want to replace my upper and lower intake manifold gaskets as I am cleaning them out and re-doing fuel injectors and need the whole intake manifold off anyhow to get the injectors out easily and put new ones in.
-What exactly should I get for fuel injectors for a 420A non-turbo?
-What tools/accessories should I use to take off the upper and lower manifold?
-How do I take off the upper and lower intake manifold?
-What spark plugs exactly should I get? How should I put in the new fuel injectors?
-Leave as much advice as you can please this car is important.
-Conner Ortiz
-Facebook~Conner Ortiz
-Instagram~conner.ortiz
-Phone~352-247-5468
[email protected]

Haven't taken the intake off a GS/RS in the car in many years, but I believe you'll need 10, 12 and 14mm wrenches and sockets. From what I remember it's easier to take them out in two pieces, but either way you're going to be getting deep in that engine bay and tweaking your arms/hands around a bit.

For fuel injectors and spark plugs, get stock replacements. Unless you're doing a full build/turboing, anything aside from stock replacements will just make the car run like isht.

Maybe @dsmcrzy or @VelocitàPaola can give you some more specifics on the manifold stuff.

Mind telling us more on why the car means so much to you, and what the intended use will be?

what the intended use will be?
Based on his DSM profile, he wants a performance build.

To the O.P.: do some research on all the performance parts before you come up with crazy ideas. And make sure you have the tuning abilities to make these parts work with each other. Take it from me, it will run like shit if you don't get everything installed correctly and tuned for your needs.

As far as spark plugs go pretty much any NGK ones will do (verify fit of course). And you can check Injector Clinic for performance injectors. Choose them based on how serious you are with this performance build (if you're not going turbo, nothing above 300cc should be needed, 350 at most).

And for taking the manifold off, most of the bolts are visible from at least one angle or another. Just look around and you can find them; I did. You can get the TB gasket from Rock Auto, and the other you should be able to find maybe Ebay or Amazon. I do recommend going the DR manifold route for a performance build though. But the stock is fine, I still run mine with just some grinding and polishing.

Last edited:
Haven't taken the intake off a GS/RS in the car in many years, but I believe you'll need 10, 12 and 14mm wrenches and sockets. From what I remember it's easier to take them out in two pieces, but either way you're going to be getting deep in that engine bay and tweaking your arms/hands around a bit.

For fuel injectors and spark plugs, get stock replacements. Unless you're doing a full build/turboing, anything aside from stock replacements will just make the car run like isht.

Maybe @dsmcrzy or @VelocitàPaola can give you some more specifics on the manifold stuff.

Mind telling us more on why the car means so much to you, and what the intended use will be?
It was passed down to me from my father and it is in pretty good condition besides the issues now but I have plans to restore it and personalize it and make it a street tuner (turbo, exhaust, suspension, etc...)

Based on his DSM profile, he wants a performance build.

To the O.P.: do some research on all the performance parts before you come up with crazy ideas. And make sure you have the tuning abilities to make these parts work with each other. Take it from me, it will run like sh** if you don't get everything installed correctly and tuned for your needs.

As far as spark plugs go pretty much any NGK ones will do (verify fit of course). And you can check Injector Clinic for performance injectors. Choose them based on how serious you are with this performance build (if you're not going turbo, nothing above 300cc should be needed, 350 at most).

And for taking the manifold off, most of the bolts are visible from at least one angle or another. Just look around and you can find them; I did. You can get the TB gasket from Rock Auto, and the other you should be able to find maybe Ebay or Amazon. I do recommend going the DR manifold route for a performance build though. But the stock is fine, I still run mine with just some grinding and polishing.
Alright. I’ll probably be back Thursday on here I’m getting all the parts then. The reason I’m taking off the upper and lower manifold is because it had oil in it and I wanna clean it all out and put new fuel injectors in the other night it kept shutting off running like shti and wouldn’t wanna start it sounded terrible.

Ok so putting a turbo into the equation can change some variables.

Of course, with such modifications you will need an aftermarket tuneable ECU.
Ahh that sounds so nice I would feel complete with all that. For now I’m gonna need a lot of help putting these injectors in right and throttle positioning sensor

Ahh that sounds so nice I would feel complete with all that. For now I’m gonna need a lot of help putting these injectors in right and throttle positioning sensor
TPS is any easy replacement. If you're lucky like me you won't have to adjust it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back