The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Replacing the 1G dash....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoyoli

Probationary Member
Jul 30, 2003
San Francisco, CaliforniaUS
I'm a relatively new poster. Joined a while ago, but haven't really had time to do much to the car. I'm about to start but have a few things to deal with cosmetically.

My dashboard is starting to peel up on the passenger side (where the airbag would go on 2G's) and it cracked pretty badly between the defrost vents to the point that it rattles when I drive. I'm about to start modding the car and figured it'd be worth changing the dashboard when adding the misc. gauges. I've found a dash in really good shape at the boneyard, but it's a NT. Do I have to get a dash from a TSI AWD? Or can I still use this dash from a NT Eclipse GS. The gauge cluster plugs seem to be the same but I wanted to be sure.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Oh my brother just got a fixer upper '90 Laser RS, but of all the gauges, the boost gauge (I know this gauge sucks) is the only one that isn't registering anything...any thoughts on where we should look to at least have the thing register something?

Again thanks in advance.

John
93 Green TSI AWD A/T
97 Green Eclipse GS Spyder
Both no mods...but hopefully not for long...

Cool guys...I'll have to give that a shot. Any specifics on glue brands that work best? We may as well know which adhesives didn't work in the attempts so we can save ourselves the trouble and learn from the mistakes of others.

Just so you guys know, I was able to remove the dashboard in about 2 hours. It was as bad as I thought it would be. It would help to have an old plastic ice cube tray for the screws. Just # them with masking tape to match the steps in the dealer guide. That helped a lot. I'm sure it'll take a lot longer to put it back on...we'll see how it goes.

Again thanks guys.

"Gorilla Glue" (you could literally glue yourself to a wall, twenty feet off the ground) or contractor's cement

We used Gorilla Glue in woodshop, worked great. Also, epoxy. We have epoxy here where I work and I just read the box. It will stick to just about anything. I would just go to a local hardware store and get some 6 minute epoxy, or 30 minute, it all works the same. So thats what my money is on.

Originally posted by jmoyoli
Just # them with masking tape to match the steps in the dealer guide.

Hey JMOYOLI,

where did you get that dealer guide that shows you how to remove the dashboard? If there's a chance you can email me the diagrams or give me a website where I can find it, I would appreciate it.

THanks for all the info guys.

"where did you get that dealer guide that shows you how to remove the dashboard? If there's a chance you can email me the diagrams or give me a website where I can find it, I would appreciate it. - what_is_dsm"
Or perhaps you could post it. If there's a website where you can buy it, that is. Thanks. :laser:

Okay folks...

The dealer guide set me back quite a bit of cash. I spent the cash because I figured how can you go wrong with the dealer guide. Apparently for the dashboard issue it was worth it. I'm totally swamped this week with guests visiting from Europe. But next weekend, if all goes well, I will try scanning the page with the steps on the order and items that need to be pulled. It's the least I can do to help since all of you dsmtuner members have provided valuable information on how to enjoy (or as my wife would say...overspend money AS WELL AS time on) my car.

If someone reads this by next Sunday and it's not here, someone send me an email reminder so I can put it up.

Thanks all!:thumb:

Okay...sorry it took so long everyone. I hope this helps (I actually bought the guides for this dash removal, but it turns out there's a lot of cool information on the car as you can imagine.

I hope I don't screw this up since I'm pretty new at posting things here. Thanks to all the other people who've gone through the trouble to help the rest of us out.

Thanks a mil and good luck with those dash repairs.

Regards :thumb:

In the excitement of getting the dash out, it's easy to overlook step 22 in the upper right hand corner. That makes it 100000000 TIMES EASIER!!!

Later

Thanks from me too, jmoyoli! My dash trim is peeling and cracking despite 14 years of obsessive TLC. :dunno:

:dsm::thumb:

All 90-94 dashes are interchangable, I swapped a 91 laser dash into my 90 talon, and it peeled to damnit! But you gotta swap out the dash wiring harness if your gonna do that.

Im reviving this one for sure. I got the dash out of my parts car No Problem. It took me less than 1 hour.....maybe less than 30 minutes. Its easy as hell if you just remove the steering wheel, along with many other interior panels FIRST!!! From what I can remember:

*gauge cluster
*HVAC control "dash panel"
*a pillars
*console (just loosen it and lift it out of the way)
*little dash speakers and speaker "grill"
*steering wheel (use puller or use hammer if the car DOES NOT need to steer again)
*All the screws (of course)

Thats about all I can remember, now the fun part is swapping the new dash with the old.... :barf: I cant wait for that mess of wires.

Oh btw I did this while at the same time stripping everything in the interiour of the car out, so it mightve been easeir for me in that situation.

Mike1992 said:
I fixed my peeling dash last week with (HOT GLUE) its stayed down so far! YAYAYAYA But I have a massive burn on my hand from pushing that dash pad down and the glue leaking out and burning the snot outta my hand OWWW!!!! This dash was my replacement also, after one year it peeled up just like the one before, bust out the hot glue and get to it boys it works!
I can't wait for the first 100 degree day to come along and leave you a nice little glue puddle on your floor mat :D

yoshimitsuspeed said:
I can't wait for the first 100 degree day to come along and leave you a nice little glue puddle on your floor mat :D

Yea why didnt anyone warn me, all that crap melted and went into my glovebox :laugh: I said screw it and put a srew and washer through it, at the corner. OMG

I swapped mine out, it took a lil time, I had no idea what I was doing, and what to take out. Looks alot better t hough, as for the crack in the middle of the dash fix..just have to remove the dash and replace it. Also, hope you all swapped VIN #'s.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back