The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Replacing only two tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studs

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 6, 2003
Lancaster, New_York
I have one tire that went underinflated and destroyed my tread, I would prefer to do all but I really only have the $$ for one. I am going to at least do the pair but I have always heard on 4x4 trucks you are supposed to replace all 4 tires at same time, otherwise the different tire sizes due to wear on the existing put stress on the transfer case. I have a TSi just to clarify. Do I need 4 or can i get away with 2?
Thanks

As long as you get the same size all the way around you will be ok.

If you get the exact same tires(the pair your replacing) it should be alright....But if your going with 2 different tires, you can get a vibration or exessive tire wear...Also handling will not be the same as all 4 tires being the same..

Replacing all four is the way to got, but If you don't have the coin to spend, just get the two but make sure there same tire..

I wouldn't replace only 2. I just wouldn't do it.

There is another alternative, however, you can buy one tire and have the shop shave that tire to match the rest. If I was that low on cash this would be what I would opt for.

How much tread is remaining on the 3 good tires?

Running 2 sets here, same size, different brands, 2 on the front, 2 on the rear. No issues so far. Honestly, I don't it is that big of a deal. At least make sure they are all the same size though.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna suck it up get all 4, dunlop has a $60 rebate on D1 Direzza's till august 8th, just gotta find money somehow.

Yes. PLEASE replace all 4:D
i had to learn the hard way. had yokohama S-drives in the front(225/45/16) and the previous owner put some crappy $20 tires from pepboys (215/55/16)and ended up spinning my car 3 times then smashing a sign with my car in the rain after a autox event..../RANT

i had 2 different size tires (front to back pair) for over a year and i had no problems with anything. i went for 150 miles highway trips a few times and drove all over town. they were not two far off but still different size

I personaly would never get just 2 tires, I will always wait if I don't have the money and get all 4 at once. This also saves on wear and tear on your car as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back