1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Replacing 2g convertable frame

Posted by xCombzyx302, Aug 26, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. xCombzyx302

xCombzyx302 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 26, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey Im new to the forum and was looking for some help. Im currently driving a 2g spyder and need help finding a how to for removing the frame of a convertable. I need to take out the whole roof frame. One bar going across the top of the car (right where your head is) has broken off of the bars running parralel to the car on both sides. The whole frame is pretty much junk and the fabric is torn and beat up from the previous owner. If you can link me a how to or post with help i would appriciate it much.

Ryan

2. 97gst_spyder

97gst_spyder Proven Member

Joined Sep 1, 2008
    Lakeland, Florida
    Its a PITA.... Do you have a spare roof assy?

3. Orange Car

Orange Car Proven Member

Joined Apr 24, 2011
    Redford, Michigan
    If you find a frame I would just have the fabric professionally installed; more work than it is worth to do it yourself.

4. DSMK1NG

DSMK1NG Probationary Member

Joined Sep 30, 2010
    GreenBay, Wisconsin
    just did mine i will make a youtube video to tell you how

5. Komobabo

Komobabo Probationary Member

Joined Feb 15, 2019
    Mayagüez, Puerto Rico
    Sorry to revive and old thread, did you ever make the video? I bought my 2g DSM a few weeks ago and my frame also need replacing.

Street Build 164  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. jinscho

jinscho Proven Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    It's not as difficult as the people above make it out to be. Time consuming, yes. If you can handle a ratchet and screwdriver, the rest of it is fairly simple.

This is for a 3G.. but it's VERY similar to the 2G top removal https://www.club3g.com/forum/maintenance/187874-how-change-convertible-top-headliner.html

Street Build 2K  12

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. Komobabo

Komobabo Probationary Member

Joined Feb 15, 2019
    Mayagüez, Puerto Rico
    But where could I get a replacement frame? I contacted M&T and EZ-ON and both said they only sell the headliner and top sail only, not the frame itself.

Street Build 164  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Doubleot

Doubleot Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2009
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    Checkout Miller Import Parts, just bought a whole assembly from him and will be starting to install it today.

Street Build 2K  3

279.1 whp · 325.3 lb/ft · 2G DSM