The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Replacement turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venum

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2003
Frederick, Colorado
Hi all,

I was upgrading a few things on my car, including the wastegate spring, and my mechanic found the following issue with my Turbonetics turbo. It looks like the turbo is pretty damaged and it has less than 3000 miles on it. I'm pretty frustrated with the situation since I even had this turbo re-inspected by the company that said it was "within spec."

Would you recommend a turbo rebuild kit? Or at this point should I just get a non-Turbonetics replacement? If so, what would be comparable that you recommend? And where is a good place to buy a turbo that I won't get some knockoff?

This is a T3/T4 Turbonetics 60 trim turbo with 0.82 a/r. I have all supporting mods and it was producing 400+ whp.

See pics.

Thanks for any help and recommendations!

-Adam

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Shaft looks like it got a little warm but it is a turbo so maybe they all look that way.
My HX40 journals were still pretty brass when I broke the shaft and when I bent one, so as @pat white says, look at the amount of oil pressure and make sure it was within spec for that unit. My Holsets can take a lot of pressure as long as you drain it properly.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Excellent point about finding the reason why it did this. I think the unit was faulty from the manufacturer. The oil pressure is pretty high but I have a 1" drain on it to compensate. Still, I decided that a restrictor is necessary. I called Turbonetics and they want to see pics, so I sent it to them and am awaiting a reply.

In the meantime, I am looking for a replacement turbo. I'm thinking about Borg Warner or a Precision. I am off to the search bar!

I'll try to update this thread if I get a reason for why the turbo did this.

Thanks again!
-Adam

Borg Warner is proven and inexpensive. They can take a beating. They do have slightly slower spool up than their Precision counterparts. However, the precision units are notorious for failing. But they definitely make the jam.

Man, that is great to know! I am the type of person that over-researches things. For the last two hours I have been scouring these forums. I’m leaning towards the Borg Warner S256. It seems like it’s a capable turbo and will still maintain my current 400 whp goal. AGP seems to be the place to purchase from as well.
👍🏼

-Adam

Ah, might as well slap on a little Super99...……:sneaky:

Might be cheaper to buy a BW supercore off eBay then just purchase the turbine housing from AGP. Cost about $100 less this way.
I only paid $600 shipped for my BW S363sxe super core. Turbine housing is about $245 from AGP. Your S256 is $955 on AGP’s site

Update- I went with AGP Turbo 5757e .63 a/r. A guy named Ben was very helpful and I feel like I got the turbo I want/need. It’s still being shipped so I have no idea what it feels like, but I’m imagining amazing things.

Update- I went with AGP Turbo 5757e .63 a/r. A guy named Ben was very helpful and I feel like I got the turbo I want/need. It’s still being shipped so I have no idea what it feels like, but I’m imagining amazing things.
Nice. I'm sure you'll make some good power with thing. Probably a solid street turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back