The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Replaced TOB, but noise still there!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCsGST

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2003
Tri-cities, Washington
OK, about 40K miles ago the final drive in my tranny went out so Mitsu. replaced it with a rebuild tranny and put a new clutch in while they were at it. Ever since then there has been a quiet noise, like a squeaking, while the clutch pedal is all the way out. Doesn't matter if it's in gear or in neutral, it still does it. I've read that it was a bad TOB. OK. So I just replaced my clutch with a ACT 2100 and replaced the TOB, which was obviously bad, with a new OEM one. STILL DOES IT!!! the noise only goes away when you barely touch the pedal and depress it 1/4". Is my shift fork rubbing on something in my bell housing? Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks guys.

Sounds like something inside the trans, which makes sense if it started back when they worked on it. The noise going away when the pedal is partly depressed also points to this. If the noise is gone with the pedal fully depressed, then I'd put money on it being inside the trans. ...somewhere.

For a similar example, I would get phantom knock in neutral when revving the engine at a stop. I could hear the slight tranny noise, probably the input shaft. With the clutch in, no noise, no phantom knock.

I noticed that faint whistle/whine when i put on my upper IC pipe on my old 2g. May that could be your problem, not your drivetrain

I know exactly what you are talking about ... my old 3g ecipse did that too. I got act2100 and as soon as I slightly push the clutch the sound would go away. Funny thing is it eventually fixed itself .... it bothered me too tho.

Well, I after I changed my oil this weekend and already had her on jackstands I decided to poke around a little. I discovered that as soon as I touched the hydrolic ram that shoves the shift-fork, the noise stopped. It must be that little brass fitting that fits in the hole of the fork. I wonder, is there something I can squirt in there to stop this squeak?

bad bearing in the transmission. the seal on the shaft got rotted from exxesive dust from the clutch and burnt the bearing. when we tore the trans apart the bearing was purple and crap.

i also just replaced my tob two weeks ago noise had stopped but now has come back. idk what it could be.. tired of the rattling.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back