The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Replace F5M33 Tranny with a F5M31 - Can I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bymp

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 22, 2010
Chattanooga, Tennessee
I have a 97 Spyder GST that the transmission died in.

I can get a spare F5M31 transmission from a friend. My question is.... Can I use this transmission in my car?

I've been told the F5M31 transmission is not as strong as the F5M33, this isn't a problem at the moment since my car is still stock.

As far as bolt off, bolt on, will I run into any problems?

Please advise,

Joe

You can use it 100% just drop the old one and pop the new one in,

You will notice a bit more low end as the gearing is a bit different i pushed about 300 ft lbs of torque on my f5m31 for about a year never had a problem.

Clutch is different also. NT doesn't use the stepped flywheel or clutch.

no one is talking about a 420a nt here. The 31 transmission he would use comes from galant or nt spyder and they both use a stepped flywheel. which accept the turbo clutch. The 4g64 flywheel is actually an upgrade over the stock 4g63t flywheel because its lighter.

I recently did this swap on a 2g turbo car. The flywheel is stepped like the turbo flywheel but it is slightly different where pressure plate bolts to the flywheel. The spyder flywheel is more rounded on the and the turbo flywheel is flat on the side. The pressure plate and disc are interchangeable between the 2 flywheels, but if you use the turbo flywheel than you will have to do a small amount of grinding inside the bellhousing or else the flywheel will bind up. There is a spot by the starter where the casting sticks out a bit, just take a die grinder and flatten it out a little bit and it will be fine.

I recently did this swap on a 2g turbo car. The flywheel is stepped like the turbo flywheel but it is slightly different where pressure plate bolts to the flywheel. The spyder flywheel is more rounded on the and the turbo flywheel is flat on the side. The pressure plate and disc are interchangeable between the 2 flywheels, but if you use the turbo flywheel than you will have to do a small amount of grinding inside the bellhousing or else the flywheel will bind up. There is a spot by the starter where the casting sticks out a bit, just take a die grinder and flatten it out a little bit and it will be fine.

Really you have to grind, do you have a picture of the spot? The f5m33 uses the f5m31 bell housing!

Really you have to grind, do you have a picture of the spot? The f5m33 uses the f5m31 bell housing!

I don't have a picture, but as i said i just did this like a month ago and the flywheel would catch on the raised spot in the bellhousing before i ground the stop off. It took like 2 minutes to grind it enough for it to not rub any more.

I'm in the reverse I swapped a f5m31 to f5m33 have axles in. Is cable different? Is clutch assembly different? Auto parts said its same. Clutch doesn't seam to disengage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back