The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Repairing Crankshaft Pulley/ Harmonic Balancer Pulley

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishnish

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 26, 2011
Modesto, California
Is there any way, if the rubber part of the crankshaft pulley is torn or separated, you can repair it? My car has just under 100k miles and once I take the pulley out, I'm not sure if it'll need to be replaced or repaired. Basically, is it possible to replace the rubber part of the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer pulley? Or do I have to replace the whole unit? Because the part can be pricey..

Replace it so it doesn't separate and become a hazard to everything. I don't run anything more than a stock replacement (although I need to). It won't break your wallet. Be safe!!

Here ya go..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Man if it separates all hell can break loose. Just want to give sound advise. I've separated a SBC balancer, it ate up the radiator.

Oh dang those are nowhere near the stm price. But I guess it's because the stm has the oem one which is $162. Is it safe to go with any of those brands? Am I good with going with the cheapest one?

Agreed, replace that puppy. Bad things can happen. I lucked out and when mine went it just started eating belts. I replaced with a fluidamper unit, but the dorman should do you just fine too

Okay guys, so I ended up getting my dorman Harmonic Balancer Pulley/crankshaft pulley in today and it came with the weirdest thing. I was under the impression that then only hardware you'd get would be the pulley itself unless of course you choose to get new bolts.

However, I got some weird half-moon looking metal thing. Don't know if you guys have any idea as to what it is/if it's necessary. I figured I'd post it on my already-existent thread instead of creating a new one. Here are some pics:

That's the woodruff key for the crankshaft. Shouldn't need it, but they come with a new one.

Wow thank you for the quick answer. Could you explain what the woodruff key is used for?

Edit: Nvm I actually did some research and found out it's basically to attach any rotating part to a shaft. My next question is if I would actually need to install this new one. I know the previous post said I shouldn't need it. I just wanna make sure.

Last edited:
If you remove the timing belt pulley you will see the woodruff key. If your original key looks good, keep this one as a spare for later. You do not need to take the timing belt pulley off to switch the harmonic balancer pulley though.

Thank you for the answer. Can you clarify what you mean by the timing belt pulley? I went on the vfaq to see what you're referring to and I'm not sure exactly

Thank you for the answer. Can you clarify what you mean by the timing belt pulley? I went on the vfaq to see what you're referring to and I'm not sure exactly

Hes talking about the crank sprocket ,
The timing belt goes around the spocket.
Its got one big bolt in the center and the harmonic balancer bolts directly to it.

If you remove the timing belt pulley you will see the woodruff key. If your original key looks good, keep this one as a spare for later. You do not need to take the timing belt pulley off to switch the harmonic balancer pulley though.
Yep. Just a normal crank pulley key to keep it from moving and in time. The balancer AND the timing belt pulley have them, you have a new one there. It's small but VERY important. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back