The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Removing your A/C & P/S belt= More horsepower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is there an actual dyno testing on this on how much HP doing this will free up? is it even worth doing this?

There was a small little study UTI students did that showed on average it made less than 1 HP difference. Of course the AC was not on at the time.

I'd look into underdrive pulleys before I'd worry about that belt.

removing the a.c will only give you a small weight reduction and having the a.c in your car wont decrease HP unless you have the a.c on and the a.c clutch kicks in
That depends on what you consider 'small'. The entire A/C system weighs in the 30-50 lb. range. I'd consider removing that to b a pretty good weight savings. Not to mention it removes one more belt and tensioner, allows better airflow to the radiator, and makes installing/uninstalling the engine much easier and quicker.

While removing the a/c won't free up much in the way of horsepower there are other benifits. The entire a/c system weighs over 60 lbs (1g)(which is pretty significant in my book) and without having the condenser in front of the radiator it can aid in cooling, especially with a FMIC. Mines been gone for years and I've never missed it. To each their own though.

That depends on what you consider 'small'. The entire A/C system weighs in the 30-50 lb. range. I'd consider removing that to b a pretty good weight savings. Not to metion it removes one more belt and tensioner, allows better airflow to the radiator, and makes installing/uninstalling the engine much easier and quicker.

While removing the a/c won't free up much in the way of horsepower there are other benifits. The entire a/c system weighs over 60 lbs (1g)(which is pretty significant in my book) and without having the condenser in front of the radiator it can aid in cooling, especially with a FMIC. Mines been gone for years and I've never missed it. To each their own though.

Yes and yes again. You guys are absolutely right.:) There are more benifits besides just freeing up power, as long as you can go without the comfort of a/c.

Removing the a/c compressor also frees up room for alternater relocation to get it away from the heat of your turbo and manifold. I'm getting rid of mine for that reason, along with the weight reduction and less clutter. If you're just removing the belt, but not the whole system, then hp gains aren't going to be noticeable

It will have less stress on the crank. So it will be freer to move. Maybe rev a little faster.

That depends on what you consider 'small'. The entire A/C system weighs in the 30-50 lb. range. I'd consider removing that to b a pretty good weight savings. Not to mention it removes one more belt and tensioner, allows better airflow to the radiator, and makes installing/uninstalling the engine much easier and quicker.

Agreed!, I thought my ac removal was well worth it for all of those above reasons :thumb:

Live in Austin, Texas. Haven't had my A/C for 3 years now, and in times like these (a week of straight smashing high temp records all around 103'F for JUNE aka SPRING) i some times think to myself, "why did i do this?" but other than that i never tend to use the A/C even if i have it available!
I like my A/C being gone, im in the process of removing ALL the other part now; condenser, ect. (took the a/c compressor off years ago!)

Oh man, and in El Paso, i saw on the new this week it was getting WELL in the 100's, the high for Laredo the other day was 108'F!!!

I rarely use my A/C even with my DD. I live in SW Florida.

Heck yeah, that's how we roll out here Shawn! We keep it hot :cool:

Yes sir!!
(not to jump off subject but..) On the news last week i was watching people in Chicago on it, complaining about how it was miserably hot and dangerous up there, when the high was in the low-mid 90's!
My reaction was, "HAHAHAHAHA" And thats the windy city! Try walking outside with stale HOT air, 102*F at 3pm with no source of wind, (sometime it in the 100s with 90% humid, which feel just plain disgusting) Nights are still in the high 80's!!

Not to start anything, i have alot of family in Milwaukee, and i understand them, i don't think i could live out the winters up there!! haha

BUT BACK ON TOPIC!!

A/C removal isn't much of a HP gainer, as it is a weight reducer and comfort stealer! I scraped mine for 2 reason, I Never used it anyways, and the pulley started making a high pitching rattling squeal.

And you being from NewYork.. i don't think you will mind summers with out a/c if us Texas guys can handle it! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back