The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Removing tint from tails (w/clear)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoAWD

Retired
Supporting VIP
Jun 13, 2002
Hillsborough, North_Carolina
Alright, so I tinted the Talon's tails (alliteration...w00t) a while ago and some of the clear is starting to peel off.

I think I'd like to go back to plain tails, but I'm not sure what stripper I should use to get this stuff off. It's the RC Car tint you can get at a hobby store with a few/couple of layers of clear over it.

Suggestions?

You could used a little bit of acetone then scuff it with a gray scotchbrite then reclear them..Thats what i would do..maybe start with a diluted acetone

Good deal. I'm just nervous about damaging the plastic, so perhaps a light acetone mix is a good place to start.

you'll love this.. use 600 grit emery paper with soapy water until the tint is removed. Use 1000 grit emery paper with soapy water for another few minutes, then use 1500 grit emery with soapy water for another few minutes, then use 2000 grit with soapy water for another few. Wipe' er down, then use a polishing compound mixed with some water with the "magic ball" on a high speed drill for 20-30 minutes. Your plastic lenses should look damn good as new. If not more sanding and polishing. Remember the key is the soapy water. The same process works for removing the "sandblasted" effect on headlights.

If they still don't look crystal clear, maybe try a couple coats of clearcoat after the 2000 grit and try polishing that. don't forget the edges. good luck

Why'd you remove the part about me being paranoid? ;)

Thanks a lot for the tips. I have 3-4 sets of tails, but scratch-wise, these are the best specimen, and I'd hate to f-em up.

heh lando, I tend to post like I talk, but then I figure its to much info so I edit my posts to keep it on topic the best I can.. but maybe you can try this technique on an old set of tails first?

it wont if you use it sparingly. Dont use sandpaper or a scotch bright, your lights will come out dull as ever. Ive used thinner before to take tint of my buddies tails, and they came out looking brand new. Just don't soak it in thinner, and dont lt it sit for too long on the tail.

hahaha wish i knew that before i removed the tint on my tails. i used brake cleaner to get the bulk of the paint off and then sanded the rest off and now the tails look very dull. i haven't tried to restore them yet but i doubt they will look as new. :-(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back