The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Removing/Reusing Outer Tie Rod End

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Hey so I recently (500 miles ago) replaced my Right Side Outer Tie Rod End on my 91 AWD and I think I need to adjust it in one or two more turns because my right tire seems to have a degree or two of negative toe, and last time I ended up ruining my tie rod end with a hammer so I had to replace it. Are there any tricks or tips I can use to pop the tie rod end out without damaging the threads? Its a fresh Moog and I don't want to have to spend another $45 again, but I've definitely got inner camber wear and need to fix it asap. I have a pickle fork but do not want to damage the boot.

Last edited:
Put a nut on the stud, and beat on that with the hammer. And apply pressure to the tie rod to help pop it out while you beat it with the hammer. And/or heat the knuckle, or just buy a new boot and use the pickle fork. Or get a hold of a scissor-type ball-joint press.

no no. You can adjust the toe without removing the tie rod end. just loosen the lock nut and use a 14mm wrench on the flats.

If you need to get the tie rod end off, use a prybar and put some pressure on the tierod end. Then smack the knuckle with a hammer. Usually that will pop it loose. Don't beat on the threads.

no no. You can adjust the toe without removing the tie rod end. just loosen the lock nut and use a 14mm wrench on the flats.

If you need to get the tie rod end off, use a prybar and put some pressure on the tierod end. Then smack the knuckle with a hammer. Usually that will pop it loose. Don't beat on the threads.

+1 or you could use a tie rod end seperator.

Use a big ass hammer and hit the knuckle where the tie rod is. It will pop loose.

^Thats true too. I usually just back the nut till its flush with the threads, and give it a good hit with a dead blow. Like stated before, you don't have to remove the tie rod end to adjust the toe.

Wow I had no idea that you could adjust your toe without removing the tie rod end! Im extremely happy to hear that! And as to the "smash on the nut on the threads" technique, thats what ruined my first NEW Moog Tie Rod End! So unless I was REPLACING it with a NEWER one, Ill never use that technique. But its good to know that this just got a hell of a lot easier, going to fix my toe tomorrow =D Thanks so much guys!! Marking this as [RESOLVED]

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back