The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Removing locking lugnuts without key

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I am working on the car now and need to pull the axles. I never paid much attention to the fact that the last owner installed locking lugnuts on EVERY wheel stud and the key is absolutely not in the car.

I have been searching around, and I have been following the advice of beating a socket in there and then turning.

This worked on 6 of the lugnuts but I have 4 to go. (I am only doing the front wheels right now).

The socket just spins inside the lugnut on the last 4 and the next size up can't be banged in.

How can I get the other 4 off short of towing it to a tire shop? (Car is immobile).

Another issue that I have is that the hole is only 9mm. Most sockets around that size are only 1/4 drive. I have broken numerous 3/8 to 1/4 adapters trying to turn the lugnut.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Take a pic of what your talking about so we have a better idea of what your talking about.

File too large, I'll keep on trying.

Open the pictures in paint brush or a similar program and resize it, works like a charm.

For the lugnuts I have used these
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It bites on to the outsides of the lugnuts, the teeth are reverse threaded so as you loosen the lugnuts it makes them bite harder (horrible description)

You can buy the spline drive sockets at both big O and les schwab. (about $5.00)

Well those aren't the spline drive, like I was thinking. Don't know if those sockets I posted will help, It's possible it could destroy them because the sockets bite into the lugnut material pretty good.

Last edited:
As you can see, various issues. Locking lugnut at 10 o'clock is now missing splines due to numerous beatings of sockets into it that eventually slip out when I attempt to turn them.

Socket at 2 o'clock is a regular size socket that has 2 broken 1/4 drive extensions snapped off in it.

Exactly the same for the socket at 7 o'clock...except it is longer. I tossed a large nut on there and tried to weld it to the socket, but I guess one of the materials is different since the nut won't weld to the socket.

I have one more lugnut on the other wheel with the splines missing.

Has this been the regular scenario of just 4 locking lugnuts, I would have won...since beating sockets into 6 of these has worked already, but the last 4 are just too much!

I am having your exact issue with my 2g I just bought

The kit I got for my previous lugnut problem is definitely too small to work on my new lugnut problem. I am going to weigh my options. The kit I have, the largest socket/nut remover is 5/8"/16mm (the sockets say both) and it is too small.

It looks like your lugnuts are more of a headache!

I am having your exact issue with my 2g I just bought

The kit I got for my previous lugnut problem is definitely too small to work on my new lugnut problem. I am going to weigh my options. The kit I have, the largest socket/nut remover is 5/8"/16mm (the sockets say both) and it is too small.

It looks like your lugnuts are more of a headache!

If you check the Lowes link, it has larger socket sizes. Not sure if the lugnut has to be exactly the same size as the removal tool or what though?

Im probably going to go buy the larger socket kit (after my coffee) so I will be able to let you know. I'm not 100% positive on how these sockets will grip on a completely round surface. So I don't want to say yay or nay on buying something until I have tried it.
I did look at the links and I'm going with autozone because its the same brand but you get a little case! :)

I have to pull my axels for a motor swap so I will find something soon.

Lol, let me know how it goes and I will do the same. Will probably go talk to the guys at the counter so I can at least get my money back if they recommend the tool and it doesn't work. I might carry the lugnuts with sockets jammed in them for some advice...but asking questions generally yields better results since they are dumb as rocks over here.

:)

As a last resort you could cut off the heads on the wheel studs on backside of the hub. Of coarse you would have to replace the studs but at least you could get the wheel off and not keep messing around with junk lug nuts.

Thanks, but how do you go about using those?

Ideally, you would want to use it with a pneumatic or electric impact. I'm sure with some work you could make it work with a standard wratchet/breaker bar as well though.

Ideally, you would want to use it with a pneumatic or electric impact. I'm sure with some work you could make it work with a standard wratchet/breaker bar as well though.
Thanks....I found one at Autozone after visiting a few. Appreciate the lesson. I have an impact.

Looks like you all just need a 10mm or 12mm Allen socket, they make them for 3/8 and 1/2 drives, or if you can just buy the tool for them. Such as http://m.ebay.com/itm/201247940469

Those are lugnuts that I am adding as I get the garbage off. I had them laying around from yet another moron who was going to do the same thing to his car. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back