The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A 2gNT Removing Harmonic balancer

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nvisi

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2021
Florence, South_Carolina
So im doing a timing belt change on a 2g 99 rs and the last thing I have to do before I can pull the front belt cover is remove the harmonic balancer. The harmonic balancer bolt was loose from the previous owner so I got lucky with that and it came off with no problems. However removing the actual harmonic balancer (The pulley) has been another story. I rented the chrysler harmonic balancer puller from a parts store but when I use it the entire harmonic balancer just turns with it when I turn it to the right. Ive even tried putting the car into 5th gear and having someone hold the breaks while I force the puller to the right and the pulley will not move even slightly. Can anyone give me any ideas idk if im using the puller wrong or something.

i take it you don't have an impact wrench. that is the easiest way to do it.

if you have someone that can help you , you can try taking out the starter and using a pry bar on the teeth of the flex plate to keep it from turning.

If the puller is an OEM (brand name), it has a 24 mm nut that you put a wrench on to keep it from turning

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The pulley can be a bi*** to remove. If you cant get the shaft of the puller to turn, use a breaker bar. If the puller breaks, swap it out for another one and keep trying. i have broken a few of them.

Last edited:
Mine was stuck on so tight I stripped the threads on my puller. I ended up using a torch and renting a 3 jaw puller from Autozone and wedging it in there tight as hell. I damaged my pulley beyond repair or use so I went ahead and bought an underdrive pulley to replace it.

if you have someone that can help you , you can try taking out the starter and using a pry bar on the teeth of the flex plate to keep it from turning.

If the puller is an OEM (brand name), it has a 24 mm nut that you put a wrench on to keep it from turning

The pulley can be a bi*** to remove. If you cant get the shaft of the puller to turn, use a breaker bar. If the puller breaks, swap it out for another one and keep trying. i have broken a few of theabou

The pulley can be a bi*** to remove. If you cant get the shaft of the puller to turn, use a breaker bar. If the puller breaks, swap it out for another one and keep trying. i have broken a few of them.
I actually went out an hour ago and bought a impact wrench just to try it. its so tight that the tool tightens to the point that the impact wrench cant make it turn any further, idk if im using it wrong but if you have any tips on how to use a impact wrench to get it off I have one now. The pulley I have is the evertough one but it looks identical to that so ill see if it has a spot to put a wrench like that one to stop it from turning but idk. This is super annoying because this is the last thing I need to take off before I can get to the actual timing belt LOL Also I tried before posting here using an extension from the puller to outside of the fender then attached a breaker bar and tightened the absolute shit out of it then stopped when I got scared I might damage the balancer. It didnt even move the balancer at all but if a breaker bar is the way ill just go ahead and try it again.

Last edited:
Mine was stuck on so tight I stripped the threads on my puller. I ended up using a torch and renting a 3 jaw puller from Autozone and wedging it in there tight as hell. I damaged my pulley beyond repair or use so I went ahead and bought an underdrive pulley to replace it.
I really hope I dont have to go through that because my pulley is in pretty good condition as of right now

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back