The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Rusty cams [Merged 12-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamenPride

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 18, 2002
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have a 1G head that I bought off of someone on this board for $35. It looks like it's gonna need a rebuild, but anyway there's some rust on the cam lobes. Is it okay to use a dremel and a buffing wheel to get it off or are the cams pretty much useless?

if your having a rebuild done on the head, bring the cams in, machine shop can clean em up if theyre still good.

NO don't ever use a dremel on them. Take them to the machine shop with the head.

jott5555 said:
a machine shop can clean em up and tell you if they are reuseable..

Has anybody installed 1G cams in a 2G head? On RRE's site it says they have .010" higher lift and I didn't know if it would be noticeable (doesn't sound like it would be, but anyway). I was thinking of just keeping the cams since I got the head for relatively cheap and selling the rest of the head as I could use some $$$ right now.

When I got one of my heads rebuilt I used a company called Clear Water Cylinder Heads. They had really good pricing and replaced the cams. Link

Kent

On my head somebody had tried to take the cam gears off but instaead of using the hex on the cam itself they used the lobes :confused: so i took it to a machine shop and they polished for me.

RamenPride said:
I have a 1G head that I bought off of someone on this board for $35. It looks like it's gonna need a rebuild, but anyway there's some rust on the cam lobes. Is it okay to use a dremel and a buffing wheel to get it off or are the cams pretty much useless?

I purchased a used head not too long ago and the cam lobes were rusted. The lobes had lumps of rust. I used WD-40, a piece of rag (torn shirt) and a box cutter knife. I didn't want to use a sand paper or anything simillar to it, since I was afraid that I might take some material off the actual lobe and mess them up. What I did is: I sprayed the wd-40 and just started wipeing with the rag. It took some time but it was coming off. On the most stubborn parts, I lubricated the lobes again and started shaving off the big lumps very gently. The rust came off after some time. My cam lobes are now very shinny and look like new. No scraches or nothing. I took the head to the shop to have the engine put together again and they said that my cams are ok.
Hope this helps. :thumb:

RamenPride said:
Has anybody installed 1G cams in a 2G head? On RRE's site it says they have .010" higher lift and I didn't know if it would be noticeable (doesn't sound like it would be, but anyway). I was thinking of just keeping the cams since I got the head for relatively cheap and selling the rest of the head as I could use some $$$ right now.

not but when I first did the 6 bolt swap I used 2g cams stupidly thinking they would be better.. and I could tell a difference when I switched back to the 1g's... It could be minimally benificial to swap over to the 1g. I think 91 had the best profile but I can't remember

Ok just as it states, when I took my head apart there was some light surface rust on some of the lobes on the cams. so FINALLY I am getting around to re-assembling my car & I just want to know if any one else has seen this & what is the recommended method to remove the rust from my cams?

Ok just as it states, when I took my head apart there was some light surface rust on some of the lobes on the cams. so FINALLY I am getting around to re-assembling my car & I just want to know if any one else has seen this & what is the recommended method to remove the rust from my cams?

No, I have not seen rust on the cam lobes. They where probably not rusted when you dis-assembled the motor unless it had been sitting for awhile. If you left the cams laying in an open shop unbagged and un-lubed then they would of acquired some rust during there idle time I assume.

To remove rust: You can simply buy some rust remover from napa and spray on, then wipe off with a good non-lint towel or you can just have a machine shop steam them and apply engine lube to them so they wont rust again before you re-install them.

No, I have not seen rust on the cam lobes. They where probably not rusted when you dis-assembled the motor unless it had been sitting for awhile. If you left the cams laying in an open shop unbagged and un-lubed then they would of acquired some rust during there idle time I assume.

Ok yeah it had been sitting a while & did have a head gasket issue (not sure it that matters) but I did bag it all so it should not have got any worse. However there is some on there & I need to know what the best way to remove it from the cams with out damaging them? any ideas would be appreciated!

I'd imagine that very very light surface rust won't hurt too much unless it's on the journals. If there is any rust, though, I'd try lightly polishing it away with emory cloth or steel wool to get everything back to a nice finish. Just do so in a controlled environment where you can wash away the rust particles later.

For future reference, keep things covered in WD40 and plastic wrap if they'll be exposed to the elements.

VelocitàPaola;151100713 said:
I'd imagine that very very light surface rust won't hurt too much unless it's on the journals. If there is any rust, though, I'd try lightly polishing it away with emory cloth or steel wool to get everything back to a nice finish. Just do so in a controlled environment where you can wash away the rust particles later.

For future reference, keep things covered in WD40 and plastic wrap if they'll be exposed to the elements.

Thanks man! it is much appreciated! hopefully this weekend I can get the majority of the work done!:thumb:

I have a set of cams that i had stored for awhile and now they have a few little rust spots on them and i was wondering is there anyway to remove it without having to send it to the machine shop or anything? THanks

Brian

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back