The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

AC Removal [Merged 12-8] removing eliminating taking out off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBeast

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2002
Bay Area, California
Does anyone have any instructions (step by step for DUMMIES) on how to remove the air condition system?

-I never use it anyways. (If it's hot, I'm scared I'll overheat car, if it's cold, I wouldn't dare LOL
-What benifits will I get for removing it?

Thanx,
DeathBeast

(looks like a tool box, heavy?) at first i thought you where talking about the cruise control vacuum box LOL but that sucker is less than 1lb. then i saw the part about looking at the pictures of the red bracket on the other post, and i see its connected to you a/c compressor, but nothing else you said sounded anything like an a/c compressor so now im just :confused:

4UH8ERS said:
(looks like a tool box, heavy?) at first i thought you where talking about the cruise control vacuum box LOL but that sucker is less than 1lb. then i saw the part about looking at the pictures of the red bracket on the other post, and i see its connected to you a/c compressor, but nothing else you said sounded anything like an a/c compressor so now im just :confused:

Who are you talking to? I was refferring to the correct part dude. YES, its like a mini tool box and as heavy as one too. That's what I said.

I think you are confusing me with the OP. Because everything I said was in reference to the A/C charger...

Prove me wrong.

I think Blitz knew what he was talking about, it's the OP that sounds confused. Granted, the A/C compressor isn't at the "right" side of the engine bay: perhaps "passenger's side" would be a more apt description. That toolbox reference was a little weird too :)p), but still... the description he gave based on that picture was accurate.

Damnnit I meant left... or passengers side... whatever, you guys know what I meant.

Yeah toolbox was the first thing in mind when I said that. Have you guys actually felt how heavy those things are? I was surprised to see mitsu went with DENSO on them ...

Blitzeclips said:
Who are you talking to? I was refferring to the correct part dude. YES, its like a mini tool box and as heavy as one too. That's what I said.

I think you are confusing me with the OP. Because everything I said was in reference to the A/C charger...

Prove me wrong.

RIGHT SIDE+TOOL BOX=confused me. between you and the original post i got confused LOL. no hard feelings.:thumb:

I just removed my AC compressor from my 2G GST. If I remove the bracket, do I need the spacer like I've seen AWD cars need? Not sure if there is any difference between the FWD and AWD bracket removal procedures.

Hey guys, I am in the process of gutting my car and I heard that taking out certain AC components can yield a loss of 30lbs. I was wondering from those of you who have removed the AC which components can safely be removed. I have a haynes manual so if you just list the certain parts of the AC that can be removed I can take it from there.

Thanks!

i wouldnt do it unless your going to take out the compressor because thats where most of the weight is and its not an easy job

I don't care to have any AC in my car (its so cold in there anyways) so anything that has to do with it can be taken out - including the compressor (unless it is used with things other than AC). What else can be taken out?

my galant is losing its a/c. it doesnt work and we hardly use a/c here in the northwest. windows down baby!

hi im a n00b to dsm, i owned and worked on hondas til last month , now im doing a 420A restoration, in the process i am freeing up engine bay space.. now do i NEED an a/c compressor or can i remove it, and if i do remove it will i need to buy a new serpentine belt? or will the tensioner adjust to the old one?

You can remove it, and technically, you don't even need that belt to run, of course if you don't use that belt then you will also lose power steering. Your timing belt runs your alternator/water pump and crank. The accessory belt is power steering and A/C. I would personally remove it, but then again I am a wieght shaving freak. Besides, who needs ac, when ya can just go fast letting the windows down :thumb:

You can remove it, and technically, you don't even need that belt to run, of course if you don't use that belt then you will also lose power steering. Your timing belt runs your alternator/water pump and crank. The accessory belt is power steering and A/C. I would personally remove it, but then again I am a wieght shaving freak. Besides, who needs ac, when ya can just go fast letting the windows down :thumb:

Timing Belt does water and oil pump, NOT the alternator. There's 2 accessory belts, one for the alternator, the other for PS and AC.

I pulled mine out over a year ago. Not really needed if you don't use AC. You will need a new belt for the PS though. Just take a string and wrap it around the crank pulley and the PS pulley and take that length to auto parts store. They'll match it up. I took my tension pulley out, and used the PS pump adjustment for the tension.

Heh..not too bad, i used all the info i found in this forums to remove mine, and mind you im military so i have musters, duty, watch to attend to, i still got it out before the weekend was over...oh and also, heres a tidbit that i tried out and worked for me..

safest way to drain you AC WITHOUT taking it to a licensed ac repairman, unscrew this bolt loose (pic below), its at the back of the engine up by the windshield wiper, unscrew it, and put a towel ontop of it, then just push on the ac line to put tension in the line and it takes about 30 min to drain it out, after that, put the towel on top of the H cap, and stick a phillips head down in their to get out the remaining coolant..i found that this was by far safer than risking r134 blown in my face or on my hands..what i make my money with.. couldnt risk injuring myself..and it worked great for me. ;)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I skimmed through this topic but didn't really find an answer. How did you guys remove your A/C compressor? I'm wanting to put mine back on because it's hot as shit, I took it off when my motor was out of the car but now I want it back in. The only two ways I see that are possible would be to:

1) Remove the driver side half shaft, sliding it up from underneath

...or

2) Remove the battery, battery tray, coolant lines and throttle body then sliding it in under the intake from in the engine compartment.

I think #2 would be easier and involve less work but I'm not 100% sure the compressor will slide between the intake and the engine mount with the shifter cables being there. Hopefully someone can chime in and save me from trial and error.

Same here, is there a guide with pics on how to remove just the A/C compressor? I searched and wasnt able to find anything regarding removal and installation of A/C compressor.

Mine took a dump and Im dying in this hot FL summer!

I took mine out this spring when I put the car back together. I took my compressor out from the bottom and it almost fell on my head. I moved my head fast enough to smack the bottom of the car though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back