The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

removing AC will make the car faster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Lytz

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2009
beacon, New_York
I have no idea if this is true or not so im just going to ask it.....removing the air conditioning from the car,does it make it faster? im not sure if its the weight reduction or what.if so does anyone know or has already taken one out of their own car?

97 mitsu eclipse GS 420a

It gets 115* and hotter where i live. People still do a/c delete on street cars. Weight reduction only makes a big difference if you do all of the weight reduction mods. It makes sense for a race car, but a street car, not so much.

its a 420a so really its like farting upwind. Really kinda worthless unless you dump alot of money to make it fast in the first place.

took mine out just because it didn't work anymore and eventually did a 6bolt swap. I must say I do miss having ac on a hot summer day, but that's what my daily is for I guess

No it wont make any difference besides the weight reduction. The AC clutch spins FREE when the AC is NOT ON. So as long as the AC is NOT on, it wont slow the car down MUCH at all. When the AC is off its basically just and idler pulley. It might shave off a 1/4 horse power haha.

I hate this MYTH that goes around on the internet that it costs millions to mod a 420a hahahaha:confused: I can make a RS/ GS beat a stock GS-T/GSX for 1k
It doesn't cost that much more than a 4g63. Obviously it doesn't have the same potential as the 4g63 but its NOT that bad of an engine...very similar to the SRT-4 engine, but a lil smaller.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back