The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Removing a 2Gb Talon Wing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
I'm thinking of trying out the wingless look for a while on the 97 TSi. If I go through the trouble of removing the rear wing will there be holes I need to plug? That might be a deciding factor. I don't know if I want to deal with plugging/filling holes. I couldn't find a write-up on the removal - is it difficult?

There will be three 1in round holes you'll have to fill. One on either side of the hatch glass (roundish shape) and one large one in the rear center. Also IIRC there are two m6 sized hole above and below the large center hole in the hatch.

Yup, It's actually very easy. just take the plastic cover off the inside of the hatch and unscrew all the screws. and to fill the holes i just bought plastic screw type things and used silicone to prevent any water from getting in. There is going to be 5 holes in total.

I actually tried something very similar to that and it worked great for the 1" hole behing the glass, but the 2 holes on the sides arent exactly round, so using those the corners dont get covered. i just went to lowes looked in the section with all the screws and fasteners until i found something that would work.

Not filling the large holes on either side of the glass would be blatantly obvious and looklike crap. The only way to remove it and still have it look good would be to do it the right way... weld, grind, fill, sand, prime, sand, paint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I love the 2gb Talon wings, I personally wouldn't take it off.
Like the others said, you will have holes to fill.
I may put it back on once it's repainted. But the clear coat is coming off and it does block my view a bit - not to mention I like the stealthy look.

i took mine off on my 2gb. For some reason, on my 98 i HATED it off. On the 97, it looks so good wingless. I guess with the rare quarter panel windows i have, it makes it look totally different.

you will have big holes where the front of the wing meets the hatch, that are more square. Then 2 holes right under the 3rd brake light.

You need to take the hatch plastics off.

Disconnect the 3rd brake light.

There are 2 bolts on each side in the front. And I think just 1 in the rear. And yeah there will be holes that need to be plugged somehow.

I just popped mine off in 15mins -- with the SCCA/NASA roll-cage and tubing there was virtually zero rear visibility especially at night-time as the center brake-light housing casts a huge shadow on the rear glass - replacing it with a $80 ebay alum. adjustable wing that clears all the rear glass.

Any thoughts on where to drill the holes in the trunk lid for the new wing? It's 36" between the two mounts and 5" between the holes. Is it OK to drill through both layers of the metal skin?

Thanks,
-M

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back