The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Removed steering wheel after suspension work, threw SRS light and horn doesn't work

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsy0

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2004
Lexington, Massachusetts
I removed the steering wheel after some suspension work to realign it straight. When I removed it, I disconnected the shrinkwrap connection that I believe was for horn operation (purple wires), as well as the white plug in the middle of the airbag which I (again) believe was for airbag operation. After I realigned the wheel, I reconnected both the plug and the connection. After starting the car, it threw an SRS light and the horn no longer works. Horn operation being necessary to pass inspection, I really need to figure out how to fix this problem since I just ran out of my present inspection sticker this month.

Anything to recommend, or how I should check to pinpoint this problem?

Also, there is a airbag and an SRS clock spring up for sale on eBay, should I look into buying these as replacements that could solve my problem?

Any help would be very appreciated, I'm relatively new to electrical work and troubleshooting.

Thanks.

SRS light probably just needs reset. Disconnect battery.

Check the horn fuse.

Future referrence: Align wheels to steering wheel not the other way around.

mopardwh said:
SRS light probably just needs reset. Disconnect battery.

Check the horn fuse.

Future referrence: Align wheels to steering wheel not the other way around.

You may have just solved the 2g turning radius problem... on one side... but the other side will turn like an aircraft carrier. Unless you have reason to believe your wheel is not centered with the rack, you shouldn't move it. Properly align the wheels instead.

It sounds like you did not get everything properly reconnected or as mopardwh suggested, you have a short.

Horn fuse is in fine condition, not broken.

I had the battery disconnected for a good several days while I was changing out my clutch, SRS light didn't reset itself when I reconnected the battery and turned the car back on.

I had just removed the steering rack to get some room to drill out a broken axle carrier bearing bolt, that's the reason I was removing the steering wheel to re-align.

When I first was pulling the steering wheel out, it came out rather quickly after some tugging, I'm thinking I may have damaged a connection when the wheel came off so quickly...

I know this is a question for remedial electronics 101, but what's the best way to pinpoint this problem? I have a multimeter, should I just check the purple wire for voltage while I press down the horn button?

Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back