The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Remanufactured Block identifications?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
How can I identify a remanufactured block? Is there a such thing as a "knock-off" 4g63 block? This block in question has no VIN, but instead has a sticker saying Jasper Engines and Transmissions with a serial number and phone number.

Ya you have to becareful for those Chinese knock offs. Well seeing as you have already answered your own question. Call the number and give them the serial number.

I'll update when I get some more info. Block belongs to a friend.

So the only stamping on the engine is on the flat face on the front side over where the balance shaft is located that just simple has Y2.0L raised in the metal. I'm certain this is just listing the displacement though. I'll have my friend call the number printed on that sticker and have the serial number on the sticker researched.

Last edited by a moderator:
Non usdm, and factory replacement blocks have no vin. any 4g63 block is made by mitsu, or possibly Hyundai, but the internals are anyone's guess.

I just emailed Jasper Engines and requested info for this block. So hopefully I'll get somewhere. I know its a reman'd block though. I don't like reman'd parts.

We just looked at yet another block. Does have the 4g63 stamping on the front, but doesn't have a VIN either. But on the 4g63 stamping, it has a stamp of the Mitsu logo which I've never seen on the blocks before. Any info on this?

I have a 4g63 engine from Jasper on the back of the block it has a re-made in America sticker LOL, and it also have a vin # on it located at the bell housing side. Sorry i cant be more help then this, good luck

Jasper is one of the largest reman companies in the US.

Expect the block to be over sized and the crank undersized.

What brand of parts they used is no telling with out a full tear down.

It should be about a oe/stock rebuild

I got on the Jasper website and emailed them. The only real info they gave me was that it was a block that was brought to them and re-manufactured. And that it was sold in 2006. No other info available. Doesn't say much about the business in the interest of records.

A company the size of Jasper is not going to keep records of every build they do.

They build 100's of engines a day, run down an assembly line, with what I would guess 12 different guys all bolting one part on the same engine.

If you are going for more than a stock HP level, I would pull it apart and check it out.

Short story, My little brother years ago, bought a reman 2.8gm engine from Jasper through some parts store. He paid 3 times to have the engine R&R, 2 of the engines snapped the crank in less than 100 miles.

If they get a crank with a spun bearing, they will weld it up and grind it back to size.

That's about all your going to get from them they don't like giving info, unless you keep bugging the crap out of them. I can say with mine that what they replaced they did with OEM parts form mitsu. I had them give me the part list of what they did to my block which wasnt much

If they get a crank with a spun bearing, they will weld it up and grind it back to size.

Well that makes it all work better... WTF I see your point though. This isn'y my block however, I only get ones that have the actual VIN, I blame OCD partly.

Guess I'll keep bugging them if something important comes up that I really need to find out.

A company the size of Jasper is not going to keep records of every build they do.

They build 100's of engines a day, run down an assembly line, with what I would guess 12 different guys all bolting one part on the same engine.

If you are going for more than a stock HP level, I would pull it apart and check it out.

Short story, My little brother years ago, bought a reman 2.8gm engine from Jasper through some parts store. He paid 3 times to have the engine R&R, 2 of the engines snapped the crank in less than 100 miles.

I've bought several Jasper engines for customers cars with great success. The only issue I had was with a Chrysler 4.7L that was assembled with a mismatched crankshaft and tone wheel on the camshaft.

Chrysler changed the number of notches for the CKP sensor and CAS in 99 or 2000, and jasper built my engine with the wrong crank. They paid me to R+R the engine a second time, and paid me 8 hours of labor for figuring out why the engine wouldn't fire. I was overnighted a check for around $1300, along with another engine. The warranty is as good as Hyundai's, and it covers you nationwide. There's no reason your little brother should have had to pay anything beyond the price of the first engine installed.

Colt... Who Knows, My little Brother is cheap. so he may not have bought the warranty, or the install kit or whatever. Plus this was back in the mid 90's.

But I have found issues with other mass rebuilders over the years.

Different sized pistons in the same block.
The wrong pistons with the proper rings.
K-liners in heads w/ the valve stems .005 under.

Once a 350 SBC with .080 pistons WTF

That may be the case with the mass re-builds but I can grantee that they didn't mass build the 4g63 cause when I was shopping for a new engine when I called them and spoke to the sales person for about hr he told me they only built 100 of them and wasn't sure if they had any left because it cost them to much to rebuild over the profit they would make from the sale as a matter in fact he said that they where lossing 10% from ever sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they always had a good warranty, regardless if you buy the install kit or not. but I guess as a company, when you build that many engines, your going to have a few bad builders or bad engines.

The rep stops in my shop once a year or so, and he always stresses how they do 10 years/100k miles on all engines and transmissions, and that they have since started live running every single unit, so I don't have to worry about the wrong crank ever showing up in my shop again LOL.

I will say that I probably wouldn't buy a 4G63 or a performance engine from them, but I did have them build a SBC short block for a customer years ago, for use with a Holley Systemax kit. It still works after 15+ years.

Colt never had a problem with mine ran it for 5,000 miles until i started my re-build (nothing to do with the motor) but we pulled it and its still looks like it just came in from there shop :)

I bought a Jasper reman engine off craigslist. It had been sitting in the crate from Jasper for over a year. It seems to be doing just fine after 2k miles, but I haven't done a compression test yet.

It had the turbo oil feed from the head welded/blocked off and so I was a little weary about it, but with a flashlight I could see the "T" on the pistons through the spark plug hole, so I bought it. Later I noticed it was missing the oil squirters, but no issues yet :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back