The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Relocating washer fluid tank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breezio69

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2012
SLC, Utah
Ok, I've searched this and many threads are just about, "Where is my tank?"

I bought my car without one, very annoying when it rains and in the coming months, snows.

I was wondering if anybody has done a relocation to under the hood? Which bottle to use? What cars tank would work? Any aftermarket ones?

I deleted my rear wiper and don't really want a stock unit for the back because I cut out the spare tire bracing in the floor to fit a box nice and low. I have no problems going to the junk yard and just looking around, but it would be nice to have some direction!

Thanks!!!

Im sure it wouldnt be that hard but unless you delete some stuff under the hood there isnt much room. Im sure it wont be hard to find a smaller tank then just wire in the pump. Would be a nice write up if you can piece something together and make it work.

Ok, well I decided to take an hour and a half to go walk the yard yesterday... the junk yard that is.

I looked at EVERY car/truck/van on the lot, finding the best candidate for this relocation. I ended up finding one that would work. Nice compact size, flat back to mount to, not a wierd shape and doesn't have a spout that sticks out a foot through a fender!

Its from an early 90's (91 to be exact for the car I took it from) GMC Sonoma pickup truck. There are 2 different bottles depending on which vehicle you look in. Early 90's GMC Sonoma and Chevy S-10 have the exact same bottle I grabbed. Early 90's Jimmy or Blazer have the same shape bottle, BUT they have TWO washer fluid pumps, one for the back window. So I pull it out, I realize the next Chevy over has an almost new washer pump sitting in the bottle with a brand new two prong connector, yank, score!

Here are the pics and the plans:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I plan to paint the bottle all black, except for a single strip I will tape off on the back side, toward the tire to be able to see the level of fluid. And I realize I will need to make a device to fill it. I was thinking of getting a bottle top and drilling it out, epoxy a fitting and connect a 1/2"x 2' hose to fill it, like a VP race gas can. Then I could just leave that cap under the seat for when I buy fluid to fill it on the run!

Let me know what you think!

Also, I have looked at a few pages and searched google. Does anybody know the wire colors for the washer switch in the lever? I couldn't find it anywhere.

If you aren't aware, the stock unit for the turbo models supply both front and rear wipers, so if you did have that bottle, taking it out would effectively delete the front wiper fluid supply.

Yeah, I always thought that was strange on my old spyder, we don't even have a rear wiper, but the tank is in the back with the water lines routed all the way forward to the windshield washer nozzles in the front. That just shows how cramped up that engine bay is.

Keith

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back