The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Relocate fusible link on positive battery terminal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I did its not hard at at all, i relocated it to the interior behind the glove box . I dont have pics on my ipad at the moment but can update you later when im on my phone. I used this awesome lil fuse box and converts to reg fuses and a few spares.

Attachments

• E4C0FBC8-E407-4D60-8BF7-35515B9BB5A8.jpeg
    E4C0FBC8-E407-4D60-8BF7-35515B9BB5A8.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 184
I did its not hard at at all, i relocated it to the interior behind the glove box . I dont have pics on my ipad at the moment but can update you later when im on my phone. I used this awesome lil fuse box and converts to reg fuses and a few spares.

I actually just installed one of those to run all my electronics. I wasn’t sure if the fusible links had to be close to the terminal so that’s good to know. Was it hard to take apart? They used some thick gauges for those wires.

FYI & HEADS UP - Fusible links are slow blow where blade fuses are fast blow so they are slightly different & not exactly the same type of fuse.

FYI & HEADS UP - Fusible links are slow blow where blade fuses are fast blow so they are slightly different & not exactly the same type of fuse.

Thanks Mello! Not sure what/how/if anything I’ll do. I’ll have to see how the whole thing is put together

I actually just installed one of those to run all my electronics. I wasn’t sure if the fusible links had to be close to the terminal so that’s good to know. Was it hard to take apart? They used some thick gauges for those wires.

just to clarify are you referring to this lil guy that hangs off the battery?

Attachments

• 2C5BB42F-8F7A-45D8-BF8C-02DF4388B46A.jpeg
    2C5BB42F-8F7A-45D8-BF8C-02DF4388B46A.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 162
I had redone alot of wiring to fix brittle old clips, etc and figured nvr blown those fuses in normal circumstances so out sight out of mind. Engine bay shot for scale.

Attachments

• EF408F8D-908D-403C-8936-6E9307448289.jpeg
    EF408F8D-908D-403C-8936-6E9307448289.jpeg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 111
I had redone alot of wiring to fix brittle old clips, etc and figured nvr blown those fuses in normal circumstances so out sight out of mind. Engine bay shot for scale.

Came out nice :thumb:.

Its important to have a main fuse like that as close to your battery as you possibly can, its a fire prevention issue, if you have 3 feet of wire and then a fuse, what happens when a thick large gauge wire coming off of the battery terminal rubs through the insulation one day, or a mouse in the middle of the night decides to chew the plastic off of the wire like they love to do, or say the old brittle insulation falls apart in one spot from years of heat and cold exposure and the part thats shorting out is between the battery and where you have the fuse mounted? you are going to have a fire, period. I have my battery relocated, but I do have a 175amp fuse right there off of the negative terminal, it is as close to the negative terminal as I can get (about an inch) and goes right from the fuse and then right to the cars body, yes you can put it on the negative if you wanted.

Its important to have a main fuse like that as close to your battery as you possibly can, its a fire prevention issue, if you have 3 feet of wire and then a fuse, what happens when a thick large gauge wire coming off of the battery terminal rubs through the insulation one day, or a mouse in the middle of the night decides to chew the plastic off of the wire like they love to do, or say the old brittle insulation falls apart in one spot from years of heat and cold exposure and the part thats shorting out is between the battery and where you have the fuse mounted? you are going to have a fire, period. I have my battery relocated, but I do have a 175amp fuse right there off of the negative terminal, it is as close to the negative terminal as I can get (about an inch) and goes right from the fuse and then right to the cars body, yes you can put it on the negative if you wanted.

Maybe I’ll just leave it then. Too much of hassle for something minute

that is some scenario you laid out there, you may want to set a few mouse traps around your car.

that is some scenario you laid out there, you may want to set a few mouse traps around your car.
That or being a tech I have seen a few cars burnt up from that EXACT scenario, and obviously the manufacturers had that scenario in mind when they placed the fuseable link where they did.

So to summarize, the 3 fuses are the positive terminal are fusible link and not regular ole fuses? I'm relocating my battery and redoing that section because there will no longer be a battery to connect to. Would it be ok to replace those with blade fuses? I can't think of why they would need to be slow blow.

@Vegas Smith this may help you decide on your path forward Slow-Blow Fuse vs Fast-Blow Fuse.
Personally I would not switch. BTW-The bigger valued, square fuses in the fuse box are slow blow. Slow blow fuses are usually used on circuits which are not as clean & may experience voltage spikes, circuits with electric motors & fast blow are usually found on digital circuits.

@Vegas Smith this may help you decide on your path forward Slow-Blow Fuse vs Fast-Blow Fuse.
Personally I would not switch. BTW-The bigger valued, square fuses in the fuse box are slow blow. Slow blow fuses are usually used on circuits which are not as clean & may experience voltage spikes, circuits with electric motors & fast blow are usually found on digital circuits.
Any tips or advice on how to convert those fuses into something I can relocate and will look a little cleaner?

Not sure on how much effort you want to put into this or what qualifies as "look a little cleaner" or how many amps you need but maybe something like this might work https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-2-Wires-100A-Mini-PAL-Female-Inline-Fuse-Holder-Blue-/370799608815
Under the hood we have Lettilfuse PAL slow blow fuses but there are other style of slow blow fuses besides the PAL packaging. You might find something you like looking at marine supplies besides only automotive.

Last edited:
Hey AWD-Tony, I am currently working on upgrading my alternator in my 90 gsx and was considering changing the terminal on the positive battery. I have had some concerns about the fusible link. Just curious if you have changed anything yet?
Nope. Been the same since 2021 LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back