The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Relocate Fuse Box And Rewire Engine Bay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How To Rewire Your Engine Bay And Relocate The Ugly Fuse Box
Done on a 1998 Eclipse Spyder Others may be different
1995-1999 Eclipse/Talon Turbo

By Mike Blageo​

Parts and tools needed:
Electrical tape
Wire cutter/stripper
Solder
Soldering Iron
Heat shrink
Wire loom
25' 8 gauge wire
Extra engine wiring harness (optional)

****DON'T be ghetto, solder ALL connections****
****Anything wrapped in yellow DO NOT TOUCH****

I have been asked numerous times how I did this so this should help you guys out. This task and the way I did it is not for the weak! I spent my whole spring break from school doing this project. Also if you don't have the engine out then I probably wouldn't even bother. And I did this about a year ago so some parts may be missing. This is just a guide.

First off remove the driver side fender; you will notice where the wiring harness enters the car. Most of the wires run from 4 connectors just inside that hole. As seen in this crude illustration:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

First thing I did was remove all the wire loom and the electrical tape from the wires. Then I traced each wire from beginning to end and documented it. I found out that about 90% of the wires that go to the fuse box end up at those 4 connectors or somewhere inside the car. No what I did is removed the wire from the connectors. I did not cut the wires but removed them with special tools. Also I wrote down what wire went where. The following picture is of the wire connectors and the color wire that goes to them:

This next picture shows the color of wire and where to route them:

Those pictures will make a lot more sense when you get everything apart to see what I'm talking about.

On the driver side under the air intake next to the boost control solenoid there is a small box with wires coming out of it. I'm not sure what it does; I believe it's for the headlights. I moved that from its location under the air intake to the driver side (anywhere it won't get damaged behind the headlight area).

From the fuse box there are 4 wires that go to the battery and 2 that go to the alternator. This is what the 8 gauge wire is for. For the 4 battery ones I ran them right out the grommet that the factory harness goes through to the battery. As for the alternator ones I ran them inside out the driver side fender (the hole that the factory wires go through) then to the alternator.

That pretty much sums up relocating the fuse box.

Now for the other wires in the engine bay. Ever notice that big ass wire loom on top of the transmission, NASTY!

I started just like I did with the fuse box. Take all the wire loom and electrical tape off the wires. Then I decided where they go and a better place to route the wires. I pretty much took the big loom on top of the transmission area and moved it behind the transmission along the firewall. I also remove unneeded wires (emissions, front O2 sensor, and MAF wires). Because I am running AEM EMS I had no need for said wires. I ran a chunk of wires by where the transmission meets the block and another one right under the intake manifold. I turned my injectors around so you don't see the plug-in. This rewire is pretty self explanatory; just run the wires where they need to go but make it look nicer.

Any wires that need to be shorten cut them, solder them, heat shrink them and tape them. I made all my cuts in about the same spot then wrapped that section in blue electrical tape and put blue electrical tape on the outside of the wire loom. This is so IF there is a problem then I can go back to each place I made a solder and make sure nothing went wrong.

This may help a few and I'm sorry I couldn't go into more detail as I did this about a year ago.

Here are some pictures of the work while it was being done.

And this is the finished product. I hope you like!

For more information contact me at [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back