The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Reliable brand for an engine coolant temperature sensor in a 92' Galant

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebas-1024

Proven Member
Jan 7, 2023
Dallas, Texas
Hello, first post here so please let me know if I'm breaking any rules.

I have a 92' Galant with a 6-bolt 4g63 and an automatic transmission. About a year ago I changed the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (shown in the pictures, 2 terminals and is located close to the thermostat housing) because it had trouble starting when cold. That fixed the issue for about a year, but a few weeks ago it started happening again. I bought another sensor but the problem was not solved entirely, I don't have to crank the engine as many times as before, but it still doesn't turn on at the first attempt when the car's been sitting for a few hours. I assume I bought a cheap sensor that doesn't read the right resistance values and it throws the ECU off, even if a bit less than the previous one did.

Having said all that, is there a reliable brand that I can look for to find a sensor that will work properly and for a decent amount of time? Looking around in RockAuto I found these brands: Ultra-Power, GPD, NTK, Four Seasons, Standard Motor Products and Facet.

No idea about any of them to be honest, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last year I bought an NTK EF0099 sensor from Rock Auto for $10.
I've verified that it is accurate, within probably 3 degrees F, at low temps like 51 degrees F. It seems accurate at higher temps too, like in the range where the 180 degree thermostat is progressively opening (180 to 203 deg F).

Here’s a link to an oem sensor from a supporting vendor.

While I am all for supporting the supporting vendors, not everything has to be an OEM piece if you're not doing a factory original build, especially when the item is at a weirdly high price. We're talking $64 vs under $14, and this particular sensor type is used across four dozen or more different vehicles by a variety of makers.
The cost for the OEM piece boggles the mind and I'd have no qualms about using an NTK over OEM branded. I wouldn't even be surprised if NTK was the OE sensor supplier.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back