The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

The Official "What's this DSM worth?" Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok this car is a 95 eclipse gs(need somethin better on gas) with 65k original miles........but the car was in an accident and the radiator support was bent in. The guy has a parts car with all the stuff needed. He's askin 1k for it all. Now is it worth the work to remove the welds and weld the new support back in considering this is connected to the unibody and could mean the frame is bent?

Here's the link to the ad.....he says his family owns a mechanic shop........you'd think if it was such an easy fix it'd be done already......
1995 Eagle Talon Non-Turbo,talon/eclipse

Seems cars are always overpriced in Canada :/ It probably goes back to when our money wasn't worth anything and things just never adjusted in some industries.

The good cars anyway. I paid probably 4 or 5 grand more for my IROC-Z Camaro than I really should have, and I've seen other cars that look overpriced also.

Pain in the bloody neck, it is.

The asking prices for both of those cars are rediculous. You can find a 1G with just about every mod you can dream of for that price! Please do a search on New Car Prices, Used Car Prices, Blue Book Value, Car Reviews - Official Kelley Blue Book Site. I would not pay a penny more than the KBB price for either of those cars.

FYI - 6 bolt engines came in DSM's built until 92.5. A 1994 has a 1G 7 bolt.

EDIT:

I would look in the classifieds section of the site. There should be plenty of cars on here that aren't insanely over-priced.

Unfortunately there's nothing there that's close enough to consider, LOL.

Message - DSM Classifieds

Given that all of the ones that are sitting around Edmonton on kijiji are ridiculously high mileage and/or damaged or modded almost beyond recognition... :p I guess it all depends on how much I can argue these guys down- based on how long the ads have been up I imagine I'll have better luck with the '94 in that sense, but we shall see.

Honestly, the only thing local that I can find that would be good enough to consider is this one
******2 EAGLE TALONS****** - Edmonton Other Cars For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton

And that one brings its own problems, LOL.

the automatic car aint that bad. upgrade the turbo and other suporting mods and its a desent daily driver. but in my opinion 8k for a dsm is retarded nomatter what transmition. but its your money

My sister's friend has a 98 RS with 177,xxx miles and a stupid motor.

Interior isn't in the best shape.
Exterior isn't in the best shape.
Transmissions seems fine though.

She decided that not putting coolant in the motor was a good idea and she drove it until the motor overheated enough to where it shut itself off. Repeatedly.

I drove it home last night having to stop every few miles, pop the hood, let it cool for 20 minutes, then carry on. I drove it until it got into the upper 1/4 of the temperature gauge then pulled over every time.

Coolant didn't circulate at all. At first I thought the thermostat simply got stuck shut, so on the side of the interstate, I yanked it out and went to put the hose back on without it only to discover that there was no coolant in the head. None whatsoever. The coolant reservoir was still full. Waterpump? I gave up on driving it home and had AAA come get it.

It definately needs a new battery (I had to jump it every time I got it moving again), there is some rust in the engine bay. But... if it can be had for cheap, then I want the car.

What's it worth? What should I offer?

Somewheres around $700-$850 for one in that condition around here. We don't have rust issues though.

thats not even considered a dsm... its not worth it a water pump and timing belt change is almost as much as the car itself! its slow bad on gas and ugly stock no reason for inherating an xtra burden.

you might as well sell it for 200 to 300 to someone whos gonna restore it and take good care of it, or for someone who just wants to beat the shit out of a dsm...

one mans trash is another mans treasure

offer $500 and a dozen roses.

like the others, if you have the time and the funding it could be made back into a gem. N/a is deffently better on the MPG department.(with the current gas prices)
As for the rust, how bad?

like ,mr88talon "said one mans trash is another mans treasure"

1991 talon 8000 is a big NO NO especailly stock un modified and auto....
1994 is much better of with for the money u save from the money u save from that one u can make this 94 a beast...
i got mine for like 2000$ and put around 4000$ i ran 11.8 1/4 mile ...even for the 94 5500 is to much i dunno about prices in calgary but ill pick it up for like max max 4000...

good luck..

Alberta represent :p check out calgarydsm.com and check the classifieds there, you will be able to find a much better deal.

whats up guys new to the forums...i hope. im looking into a 96 eclipse. im not sure if its a rs or gs but its got roll up windows and a pwr roof. either way i really think i want the car its got 170k on it though so reliability kinda comes into play. im just worried about maybe just dealing with problems i wont be able to afford. if anyone can help me out i would really appreciate it. i really want the car just not a headache. thanks guys!

Just make sure all the routine maintenance has been done. Other than that, it's just like any other car, especially since it's N/T.

If you're really worried, take it to a mechanic and get it inspected.

see thats what i was thinking but ive heard so much about dsm's that kinda made me shy away from the whole thing but im also thinking like you said a cars a car just make sure the cars been taken care of. maybe i will take it to my tech. thanks

see thats what i was thinking but ive heard so much about dsm's that kinda made me shy away from the whole thing but im also thinking like you said a cars a car just make sure the cars been taken care of. maybe i will take it to my tech. thanks

I don't understand why people think that DSM's are so unreliable.
I have plenty of friends who have GSX/T's and haven't had any problems.
I assume because people "Cheaply" modify their's and chances are higher for something to go wrong.

Anyway, all I can say is:

Buy a turbo, atleast a GST you'll like it better :]

But N/A's are sure good Daily Drivers.

Good luck!

yeah, i definately had plans to do a turbo kit if i got it. but that may be a lil while only because id like to get the car in tip top shape mechanically b4 goin that far. but hey, thanks for all the help guys.

are there any common problems with the g2's i should be aware of?

sorry about putting it in the appearence section, LOL

Ok.I've got the title finally for my car,so now I can sell mine and finally get a DSM! ROFL

Here's one I found..asking 21xx...I think It's worth around 17ish?
189,xxx miles..looks fairly stock.5 spd

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

hey guys, whats up? im actually kind of a pre-noob, LOL. im looking into a 96 eclipse with 170k on it. its white with blue interior, needs replaceable body work (i.e. hood, fenders) its 5spd with a power roof and crank windows. it also has a front strut bar, SRI, 17" white wheels with a polished lip, CUT springs, tinted altezza's, pillar gauge pod, and if i can remember right, thats it. oh, and a cat back...im pretty sure its a weld on job. the kids sellin it for 1500 but will take 1200. do you guys think this is a fair offer @ 1200? when i took it down the street for a quick ride the car shook a bit and obviously the suspension sucked @$$, but to me it seemed to have some potential to be a pretty good car. oh, he also put a new clutch and tranny in it too. what do you guys think do it or keep looking?

this is probly kinda silly to ask being that some may be bias but who better to ask than the owners themselves right? thanks for your suggestions, its greatly appreciated.

p.s. this car will be a DD/project

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back