The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Relay issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunkcar

Probationary Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sin City, Pennsylvania
Hey Folks, dont post much on here but im always flippin through... Hopin you guys might be able to help me out with this one..

-Just put a new battery in. Didnt tighten the negative termi enough.
-Started the car, backed it up into the driveway.
-The headlights and hazards were on and working at this point..
-I shut the hood, the car turned off.
-I neglected to turn the key to the off position, and i kept the lights on.
-I hastily ran back and popped the hood, and started fiddling with the terminal.
-As soon as i touched it I heard clicking right near the battery. Went back and started her up. and the headlights and hazards wont work now.

Fuses OK.
I assume its a relay that I heard clicking...

I NEED to move this car ASAP, it is nighttime here on the east coast..

How do I know if the relays are still good?
Can I replace it with another relay or something.. Dont know how interchangable they are..

Are there any other things i should check before i go gung ho?

Thansk guys, any help asap would be much appreciated.

**UPDATE**

Ok.. just swapped headlight relay out with the fog relay.. Didnt work. Seems to be more than one relay; my hazards dont work, nor the fogs, my taillights only goes on when i brake, and my dash lights wont go on..

The terminal is still a little loose.. Would this have ANYTHING to do with it? It wont tighten, its pretty ####ed.

ground wire possibly? im stumped. and pretty desperate right now.

Last edited:
The clicking happened when i was wiggling the terminal, opening and closing the circuit.. not sure if that would cause something to blow.

Checked my grounds... theres one on the left (passenger) side of the engine bay (to the left of the air box and just before the relay panel) that is rusted in and wont budge. It has a blue and black wire and it looks like its connected to the lighting harness.. I couldnt get it off to clean..

Check all the fuses. There are three fuse boxes, one on either side of the engine bay, and by the driver's left foot. If the car runs, the negative terminal not being tight isn't what's causing your problems. Might want to get some new terminals though.

it seems like all the problems im having are linked with the fuse panel on the left side of the engine bay..
-Fog lights
-Dashboard lights
-Headlights
-Tail lights
-Windows still work o.0

Need to check this out in daylight.
Will be heading out at dawn to go to my buddys and see if he can enlighten me.

Thanks for the help guys, please feel free to continue, Would be nice if I didnt need to replace anything, I will be able to get the right part tomorrow.. whatever it may be.

sounds like a fuse problem. If it where a ground you would have some weird issues due to back tracing. Gets complicated. But no lights working. No hazards and headlights. dam. All i can think of would be fuses. Do as they say and check all ## fuses. Also just as a check turn ## headlights on and pull the realy for them and put it in. If you can feel it click that means there isnt power gettin to or past that point. id check that.

thanks chris ill go try.. will return shortly. Might as well check every fuse again too, not going anywhere anytime soon LOL

check the big three fuses off the battery. I was looking at the diagram and the lights get there power from one of those "fusible" links as they call them

Remember: DC current runs from the negative to positive. Thus, when you didn't have that negative post tightened down, your system hated what was going on.

That's why some DSM owners attaches many ground cables to certain points on the motor and chassis and back to the battery under the hood to really get an excellent current flow.

I have three ground connections right now - one to the firewall, one to the transmission and the other to the intake manifold from the negative post of the battery...and using 4gauge, 30 strand braided wire to lessen resistance.

-DSM

Hmmm manuel says check lighting switch if head lights and tails dont come on

i can send you the schematic if you want it. That can help u figure this out.

think its fuse 7

Looking at the schematic more it looks like there may possibly be something wrong with your combination switch. More specifically with the "lighting switch" as the PDF says. But as for the problem occurring like it did. Its hard to say.

The fusible links on the battery seem ok. I checked the relay with the headlights on.. no clicking. (good thing, right?)

And chris the schematics would be awesome, thanks muchly

1g90: Thanks for the input.. helps put it into perspective.. I will definitly be re-doing my grounds thusly at some point in the future.

No clicking is a bad thing. You want it to click when you have the switch in the on position.

hope this works. Look around pages 212

ok so then i would assume that the issue is between the relay and the battery then?

hold on i had a problem attaching the pdf

i cant attach. its too big. Shoot. IDK if i can send it in a email or not.

It's all gravy, baby. Meanwhile, I was cited for using poor grammar a few posts ago, and would like to sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by my lack of capitalization or dramatic punctuations.

Oh- Fantastic, thank you Chris.

You are among the most helpful person I've encountered in any sort of forum.

Thanks man. I try to do anything to help out any fellow ppl. Even though i dont know them

you should check all the fuses in the engine bay with a volt meter, just cause it LOOKS okay doesnt mean it is...i have the same problem it has the middle fuse (15) in the fuse/relay box next to my battery

True, even though they may look good, but a leg could open up towards the end....

..I had that prob with the main 100A fuse: looked good but it did open down at the end. That fuse is actually bolted in on each side and not plugged in like the others... I have a VOM with a beeper option that will respond with an audible tone if a circuit is closed on the OHMS setting.

I pulled that one fuse and it didn't beep on me on the check, yet it looked good. Replaced and I was good to go again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back