The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Rekindling the Racing Fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi, good to see pics of your car and hear that you plan to return to racing. Hope you can stick with the DSM. I'm way up here in CT, but am planning a move to FL within the next(ASAP)few years. Not sure where we will land as we have several areas we like, but, I'd love to link up with you and arrowhead and possibly get involved myself.
I'll watch for your updates.

Phil1320 - That sounds great man! When we get everything situated here I was really thinking hard about starting a racing team of DSM's (and others if needed) and get involved in some road racing series around here in Florida and around the Southeast.

I have to go back to Pensacola next weekend for a funeral unfortunately but I am going to get to the garage and check out the car as much as I can and start to get tools and other racing stuff back down here to Orlando.

Hi Eddie, I have some good news for you, but first if you want to come down to our next race which will be on April 18 and 19, I can get you all the tickets you want and also pit credentials for you.
In the FARA main page you can to Newsletter sign up and register, so you can get updates and info about the events.
About your license, I spoke with the powers at be and told him about you, I will need a small resume and copies of the licenses you have or have had, I dont think there will be any problems I may even be able to waive the fee. Also a medical form will be needed.
You can download the form, or if you have an SCCA one will do.
The main core of this group have been together for a long time, going back before IMSA, and we have all raced for many years.
About the class the car will fall in, It will be 2b, it is a very competitive class with a lot of good cars in it, that is the class I will be in if I decide to go with the 2.0 turbo.
Do you have a roll cage in now, I imagine you do, but could not see it in the video
We had a 420 Eclipse show up at a couple of events, but true no DSM are regulars.
If you need further info let me know.

Hoping to see you down.
Mandy

Hi Eddie, I have some good news for you, but first if you want to come down to our next race which will be on April 18 and 19, I can get you all the tickets you want and also pit credentials for you.
In the FARA main page you can to Newsletter sign up and register, so you can get updates and info about the events.
About your license, I spoke with the powers at be and told him about you, I will need a small resume and copies of the licenses you have or have had, I dont think there will be any problems I may even be able to waive the fee. Also a medical form will be needed.
You can download the form, or if you have an SCCA one will do.
The main core of this group have been together for a long time, going back before IMSA, and we have all raced for many years.
About the class the car will fall in, It will be 2b, it is a very competitive class with a lot of good cars in it, that is the class I will be in if I decide to go with the 2.0 turbo.
Do you have a roll cage in now, I imagine you do, but could not see it in the video
We had a 420 Eclipse show up at a couple of events, but true no DSM are regulars.
If you need further info let me know.

Hoping to see you down.
Mandy

Mandy, that is GREAT!!! I would love to come down for your next event and check everything out. Thank you very much for that offer.

Thank you very much for getting that information for me regarding FARA USA. I have had some troubles getting in touch with anyone in the organization.

This is all obviously for next season with racing in the series. However, I would like to be a part of it and get to know the organization, racers, officials etc. just so I am not an unknown when we get strapped in on the track.

No problem on any of the requests you made. I have all that information ready to go actually for just this sort of thing as other series ask for similar information as well.

Yes, I have an AutoPower six point DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) cage in the car now with full double bar door bars. Some pictures of the cage are below here. I also have the seat back brace installed as well.

I also have a full suppression fire system and main power cutoff switch as well per NASA guidelines.

Curious as to why 2B would be the class as my engine is a 2.0 not 2.5 to 3.4, though this is not a major concern at all. More curious that anything really :)

The site doesn't mention too much about fees in regards to registration for events, or if there is contingency programs from manufactures (similar to NASA Pro Racing) from Hawk, Toyo, etc. Do you know this information or I may just wait and ask all these types of questions when we come down in April.

Again, thank you very much for all of this information and the invite to come down. I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone in person.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well the reason for being in that class is the turbo, and trying to keep the classes competitive, for instance I intend to run a 4g61 n/a, a 1.6, and I will be in 4B, I can turbo this motor and I will run in 3B, actually skipping a class.
When you have the AMS EAGLE evo with a 2.0 turbo out in the west coast beating everyone it is difficult to justify a lower class, although we have had a couple of evos here and they have not done much of anything.
Read the enduro race rules for the 200, 300 and 500 miles race, this past year it paid cash.
Mostly the in between races is for a trophy.
The entry fees are around $400.00 for the regular races.
I will try to forward the last emails from FARA.
I looks like you can still take some weight off the car, which it would be helpful since we have no minimum weight.

Mandy

Yeah, that is an older picture that I came across just to show the cage as best I could. Most of the stuff for weight have been removed. Next step for that is to get rid of the metal in the doors and maybe put some aluminum in there to make it smoother. Not sure just yet. Focusing on getting the car down here at the moment in the coming month or so.

I assume the $400 would cover all the races for a single event? I saw the schedule for the event in April and it looked as though there were a good five runs (including practice/qualifying) for the two day event. Is that correct? What are the garage assignments and does the entry fee cover all that?

I know these are a lot of questions and I am sure in April when we come down a lot of this can and will be discussed. Looking forward to the next event for sure!

Looks as though most events are between 25 and 20 minute sprint races, which is a good idea for the money and to get in as many "races" as possible in a two day event. I have raced in a few series based on sprint races and it worked out great.

I can understand the classing deal. No big deal, was just curious.

Yeah, anything and any info you have shoot it over to me if you can ... [email protected]

Really appreciate all this information and help, Mandy. Excited about this opportunity and series.

I really have not look at the schedule, but that is usually what we have so you get plenty of track time.
the entry fee covers the sprints or the enduro unless you want to race both, garage are $30.00 with electrical and water, but if you dont want a garage there is plenty of open space and it is clean and nice remember Homestead is a first rate facility.
Let me know if you received the emails, go to newsletter sign up so you will get all the info.
Have you taken a look at my build?
Mandy

Hi, good to see pics of your car and hear that you plan to return to racing. Hope you can stick with the DSM. I'm way up here in CT, but am planning a move to FL within the next(ASAP)few years. Not sure where we will land as we have several areas we like, but, I'd love to link up with you and arrowhead and possibly get involved myself.
I'll watch for your updates.

Phil would be awesome to have you down here, but you better hurry as I am not getting any younger.

@arrowhead - Yeah, I actually just went through all eight pages ... AWESOME work there!! That car is going to be great when you are done, Mandy.

Yup ... Signed up for the newsletter and I did get the emails, thank you!

Phil1320 - That sounds great man! When we get everything situated here I was really thinking hard about starting a racing team of DSM's (and others if needed) and get involved in some road racing series around here in Florida and around the Southeast.

I have to go back to Pensacola next weekend for a funeral unfortunately but I am going to get to the garage and check out the car as much as I can and start to get tools and other racing stuff back down here to Orlando.
Great! Keep me posted on how it goes. I have plenty of things to tie up here in CT before we can move, but, I'm on it. I will actually be in Homestead very soon to visit.

Phil would be awesome to have you down here, but you better hurry as I am not getting any younger.
Thanks! It wasn't the plan initially, however some things have changed, and I'm planning to relocate.

I'll do my best to get down there asap!

Well, bad news on the car. It's pretty much worse off than I had planned or thought. Turns out the garage I "trusted" to keep it covered left it outside apparently most of the time and have since gone out of business.

The car was left on the side of the building half way covered and is pretty much a rust reef at this point.

Really upset no one contacted me to make other plans to move it. But, little I can do about it now.

Now I think the best plan is to strip what I can and move forward. Would like to stay with the DSM platform and utilize as many parts from this car on a new car. Or, part it out and start over with either like I said, another DSM or make the jump to a new platform.

I'm currently building a 1g DSM for World Racing League (www.worldracingleague.org)

I was running a few different turbo Hondas in Chumpcar with a lot of success. Unfortunately the crazed dictator who runs the series decided he didn't like us and has instituted a rule that more or less bans our car/setup from the series... so I'm done with it. I am still aiming to keep it legal for Chump in case I change my mind.

tsiboosted, if you part the car, what will you do with the shell? Lets talk, i've really wanted to have a caged 2g as the suspension is a bit better than a 1g.

I'd love to meet and collaborate with fellow DSM road racers. Unfortunately I can't put lots of racey bits on my car as the series' I race in require the car to be pretty much stock. However I'm sure I'll have little issues crop up i'll need help with solving and would love to share what I already know.

@dcathect - I will let everyone know what goes with the car. The suspension would be parted as well since I have coil overs on it, but the other suspension parts would remain.

Obviously depending on if I stay with a DSM or not will regulate what gets sold or not.

Sorry to hear about your car.
What all has rusted on it? Dont do anything yet until we talk as I may be able to help you out.
Did you bring the car down yet or is it still up there.

No, car is still in Pensacola. The inside has a lot of rust. Tons of mildew everywhere else. Put new battery and it won't even turn over at all. Fans, fuel pump or lights won't even come on.

I know it could probably be fone theough and sorted but I am one that doesn't have patience for much and want to start a new build anyway. Will try to stay DSM though may go to another platform at this point.

I don't want to get this car down to Orlando just to confirm what I already know what's going on.

Going to sit down tomorrow and start mapping out choices.

Well, bad news on the car. It's pretty much worse off than I had planned or thought. Turns out the garage I "trusted" to keep it covered left it outside apparently most of the time and have since gone out of business.

The car was left on the side of the building half way covered and is pretty much a rust reef at this point.

Really upset no one contacted me to make other plans to move it. But, little I can do about it now.

Now I think the best plan is to strip what I can and move forward. Would like to stay with the DSM platform and utilize as many parts from this car on a new car. Or, part it out and start over with either like I said, another DSM or make the jump to a new platform.
Sorry to hear this.....what a shame. However, I hope you can somehow find the power to stick with the DSM. It would be a shame to lose you to a Honda platform or BMW 3 series. While both are formidable track cars when done right, they are also really commonplace. I'm not surprised when I see a properly set up 3 series with a good driver lapping well.

But, it boils down to what you feel is the right move. No matter what your decision, I still wanna link of with you guys asap. As long as we're having fun at the track, it doesn't matter if you're in a Smart car, or a McLaren.

Good luck!

Thanks guys!!

I honestly want stay on the DSM platform if possible. I have a lot of knowledge & experience with what these cars are capable of and love driving them. Hope to find something we can get and transfer some parts to and get up to speed quickly.

If not, Have a few options in mind now after some good brain storming with racing friends this morning. Want to stick with a 2G if possible for the obvious reason of I have parts to go on right away.

If that is not a viable option ... Watch for a sale on race ready 2G parts. Even have the very sote after RS*R exhaust system :)

The cars you were racing with in your blog, a MUSTANG and a BMW, what models were they and what engines were run in that class, just trying to compare to what we run here.

You Have a PM.

Saw the PM, thanks Mandy.

The Mustang was a 5.0 Fox Body and I can't remember whT the BMW was, sorry. It was an older model BMW, maybe E50 .... Just can't remember off the top of my head.

We had some CRX's, a Sentra and an older Rx7 as well and a 240 and Evo I recall. All had their OEM engines.

Eddie do you have a website or thread on the build of your car? Very interested on finding out more on what to do to mines to get it to run safe as well as run cool with full interior on a road race course. Thanks and sorry about the recent developments you found out about your car.Hope you get another 2g dsm so we can subscribe.

Sorry for the delay, ceedawg. There is no specific thread or website that has the build of the car I'm sorry to say. My Facebook page for Eddie Garrison Racing has a lot of pictures of what was done to the car as well as my own website at www.eddiegarrison.com

If you have any specific questions, just post them on here and I will do my best to let you know what was done to the best of my ability. I am no mechanic, so most of the work was done by my mechanics at the time and I just drove the car.

Anyway, let me know any questions and like I said, I will do my best to answer them for you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back