The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Reduce Intake Temperature

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerocygnal

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
Well..I kinda took the idea from my days building and racing Mustangs. There was a product that called a Plenum spacer. What this does is reduce the overall temperature of your intake by placing a hard plastic, or aluminum spacer between the intake, and the head. Since the spacer is about 1/2" thick to 1" thick the heat is not as easily transferred through the plastic, the intake manifold would stay cool...even to the touch after daily driving.
Example below...

Is this product already available for DSM's or am I going to have to fabricate it on the mill?

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 273
Your wanting to lower the combustion chamber temperature right? I blocked off the EGR valve, heard its suppost to help, just a tip, use it if you havent already.

I've only seen "home depot" jobs using sheet metal to block off aiir intake.

Thinking about doing it my self but with something thicker.

I'm not sure if I misunderstood your statement pasths. But for the record I'm not trying to block airflow. I'm merely trying to put a heat resistant insulation between the intake and the head. The EGR block off doesn't sufficiently lower the ambient temperature of the air in the intake for the mod to be that beneficial. About the largest benefit I have heard for doing that is to keep the intake track clean. The reason I would only use a superhard plastic is for melting, and warping reasons. To use a piece of aluminum would defeat the purpose as the intake and head are already made of those materials. The plastic will very adequately keep the heat from the head tranferring to the intake.

I went out for a cup of coffee and started explaining this to a couple of my local DSM friends and one of them said that there is a business here in the city that laser cuts materials such as this, and only needs the intake as a template. From there they scan it in, and the laser traces the same image over the material, cutting it out. If I can find a junked DSM at the junkyard I might just get the intake so I can have this done and see how well it works. I'll take some intake temperature readings of the throttle body, and the intake close to the head. Then if I ever get this spacer made, I'll take temperature readings afterwards to see how much it cooler the intake is and post it. No Dynomometer readings however..I'll leave that up to those who want to try it because there is no place in town that does that. IF it works hey...I'll post instructions.

Thanks for the feedback.

" 1g Intake Manifold Heat Spacer
Made from 1/8" thick G-11 Garolite (fiberglass-epoxy sheet) with a temp range from -40 to +350 deg F. This spacer is made to the same dimensions as the Intake Manifold Gasket. The EGR holes are not drilled. Comes with a 1/4" brass pipe plug to seal the EGR hole in the head. It can be ported further with hand files. This will not affect fuel injector fit. We found the 1/8" thk mat'l to be sufficient to insulate the manifold."

We'll I'll be damn, one company actually does sell one. I'm surprised DSM'ers are not jumping on these.

Thanks alot 90GSX!

You're welcome.

The phenolic spacer gasket was discussed in depth several years ago on the talon digest. Someone made a large batch of the gaskets and sold them to club members, though at that time I vaguely knew what the intake manifold was, or how it would be benificial to keep it cool. I do remember the discussion, but I can't remember if any significant and measurable gains were achieved with the spacer.

Outstanding. If you ever happen to run across those statistics I would love to read over it. I'll search the digest archives.

Thanks 2G I might just do that. You can never have to many spares lying around. I'm sure if I don't need it one of my friends can use it. There are 4 other 1G DSM'ers and one 2G DSM'ers here in the city that I hang with that would probably find some use for it after I make the template. Just depends on what is more cost effective..buying one intake and getting the plenums made for about 10.00 a piece, or ordering one from Dejon Tool. Probably make them I hate buying aftermarket if I can build it myself...call me old fashioned but that is what modding was all about.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back