The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Red talon build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rZNoBNV.jpg
iiWBi1D.jpg
7xbVuhf.jpg
YBrQNsJ.jpg
bZAeeuO.jpg
pbEgXoc.jpg
ZHyFzuk.jpg
lVvfAca.jpg
WLE4gFs.jpg
p7wrhdI.jpg
4ruH4jG.jpg

2hTKTEj.jpg
ILvdT3x.jpg
N7wRtxz.jpg

new upper and lower IC pipes, 4" intake, FP Red, Direct port meth injection, brake booster, brake master cylinder, and clutch master cylinder.

Break in is done and I started tuning. Had little over 8 degrees of knock retard that I couldn't get rid of past 5500 rpm. I had to pull 5 degrees of timing to clear it up. 11.0:1 AFR

Found that dumping the exhaust under the oil pan was actually causing the knock sensor to trigger. I was also having issues controlling boost. With the HKS 40mm external wastegate (16 psi spring) and the boost line connected directly to the turbo. It would hit about 14 psi at 5000 rpm, then creep to 29 psi by 7500 rpm and hold 29.5 to 9000.

Reconnecting the exhaust resolved both issues. I added the timing back in, now using stock timing tables. Boost holds at 14psi to redline.

Installed hallman MBC, turned boost up to 30 lbs, turned methanol pump on after 3800 rpms, after every pull, the car would go down to about 400 rpms and want to die unless I held the throttle open for about 10 seconds. This is my first time tuning direct port methanol and I think my jets are too big for their location. I started out using a d04 nozzle (440ml/min) in each runner from devils own. Methanol is controlled by dsmlink.

I swapped the d04 nozzles to d02 nozzles (320ml/min) which completely resolved the sputtering after WOT. Turned boost to 35.5psi. 2 degrees of knock, pulled 1 degree of timing. no knock at 35.5 psi.

My cams might be too small for what I am trying to do, I dont think it can breathe well past 8300 rpms. I originally went with GSC S1 cams and a 68hta. I used the 68 hta during break in, but never had the opportunity to get into boost with it. Swapped it to an fp red at the 1200 mile mark.

Will be switching from the hallman boost controller to an electronic boost controller soon so that I can adjust boost by gear. The hallman is giving me 35.5 psi in 2nd, 37.5 in 3rd, and much less in 1st. redline is set at 9000.

I want to try to get into the 40psi range, but 37 lbs seems to be my limit with my current methanol setup, and larger injectors in the runners seems to cause issues with pooling on the intake valves. The methanol calculator on their site suggests that I need their DO14 sized nozzle (1200ml/min) in order to run 40psi to 9000 rpm. With the 4 d02 nozzles at 320ml/min each, I am at 1280ml/min. I don't have access to e85, so hopefully others who also dont have access to e85 will find this part helpful.

calculator here: http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/

I might try adding an additional do4 nozzle further down the upper IC pipe to see if I can squeeze myself into the 40psi range. This would allow additional time for the extra meth to dissipate into the intake charge instead of pooling on top of the intake valves. I am running 92 pump gas and -25 degree blue window washer fluid from walmart. I might try increasing the methanol content of my mixture prior to adding an additional jet. It's also 50 degrees out right now, so I might need the additional jet during summer anyway.

I also need a new catback, since it's currently 3" all the way back through the fake cat. then a 2.5" fitting.

I'll be adding stainless brake lines next and an electric boost controller. I also have an evo 8 rear LSD which is a direct drop in replacement for the stock dsm open diff. Fits right into the non-lsd DSM pumpkin with the non-lsd dsm axels.

This is on 9.7:1 compression ratio pistons as well. Top ring gap at .021, 2nd ring gap at .024

What does that thing feel like at 35 psi? I’m running a red at 27 psi, with stock cams, still impressed with the airflow, car pulls really hard, can’t wait to do bigger cams and injectors

Removed the hallman MBC on the bottom port of the wastegate and installed an EBC. Installed a bleeder type (XS MBC) onto the top port of the external wastegate to raise base spring to 22 lbs. Since it's gotten hotter, I had to lower the boost to 35psi and reduce timing under WOT to 14 degrees. I experimented with running washer fluid, 50/50, 75/25, and 100% meth.

I used link to control the methanol pump based on rpm, boost, and load. AUX fuel tabs were used to pull x amount of fuel after .9 seconds. and the aux fuel map was used. Running more methanol gave inconsistent results considering the difference between meth pump pressure build delay and spool time by gear. Lack of progressive meth controller didn't help. If you are part throttle in 2nd and then floor it; the delay needs to be almost non-existent and sometimes the meth pump doesn't build pressure soon enough resulting in lean condition and a lot of knock. If the meth pump builds pressure too soon, say if you punch it in low rpm in 3rd, then you are extremely rich and it bogs down until boost pressure kicks in. Dialing this in is impossible because each gear behaves differently and there isn't an aux fuel by gear option. the other problem is that 1st gear was useless. I would have almost no boost until 6K rpm and then it builds instantly which gives the meth pump no time to turn on. Also, while running lower timing and more boost in 2-5 was great, first gear needs the timing regardless of boost pressure and was sluggish. I ended up reducing the boost in 1st to 24 psi and was able to get it into a different section of the timing map so I could have 16 degrees of timing in 1st and less in 2-5. The overall answer is not to rely on meth as a secondary fuel unless it's running through a 2nd set of injectors and has its own rail.

Having the meth content much lower, (running straight washer fluid) gives the ability to kick the meth pump on sooner without the need to pull fuel. The best results that I have found is placing the meth injectors in the upper IC pipe and having them kick on sooner based only on rpm and throttle while running straight washer fluid. this gives the cooling we need and a little octane to run 32 lbs without issue or need to tune aux fuel and timing by gear, etc.

Switched to e85..

While I am still dialing in the SD table, the current tune is running 36.4 lbs of boost at 16 degrees timing with no knock and the methanol system is turned off. I will be moving the methanol injector nozzles post intercooler at the beginning of the UIC and intend to start with straight washer fluid. This is for the cooling of the intake charge only. Last hot day we had at almost 90 degrees outside, the car started misfiring in boost after a few pulls without change to the tune. It pulls really hard in the morning, but after a few pulls when it's hot out i get misfiring when boost builds. I haven't attempted to run methanol to combat this issue when it's hot yet. I also changed the gap to .017. I'll need another hot day in order to test any of these changes.

I also intend to use the EGR solenoid activation as a safety precaution. Wiring the EBC through a relay will allow me to cut boost to spring pressure automatically in the event that I get too much knock or if coolant temps get too high for whatever reason. Wiring a few relays together will allow me to have that relay held open until i reset it (boost will stay at spring pressure until I turn the car off or push a button. The electrical button needed is push and hold type, not a switch.) I'll post up a wiring diagram if anyone is interested in this. I could also add a switch to this which would give you the ability to run spring pressure or configured boost at the flip of a switch. Cost is around $10 in parts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back