The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Red Demon at the DSM/EVO Shootout 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peypey's ride

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 25, 2007
Lilly Lake, Illinois
We had a great time at the Buschur DSM/Evo Shootout, and were very excited about how the Red Demon performed.

During the first round of qualifying, we had an issue with our QM clutch slipping. Thankfully, Tim Zimmer brought a spare Evo clutch with him and with the help of the Boostin Performance crew, we were able to change the clutch in the pits and make it back for the third round of qualifying for the Quick 16 class. With Tim and our crew, we wouldn't have been able to make the qualifying rounds in time. Thanks guys!!!

During the third and final round of qualifying, the clutch felt great, and Devin took it easy and secured his spot in the field with a 9.4 at 161mph.

The first round of the Quick 16, Devin ran a 8.9 @ 166 mph to advance to the second round. (We don't have a video....does anyone else have one?) During the second round, Devin was matched up against the MA Performance RX-7, and caught a break when he red lit. Devin didn't make a pass, and just took the win. The semi-finals brought on a great match up. Devin ended up running an 8.88 at 166mph spinning like crazy out of the hole. This is his best pass to date, and in my opinion, it was one of the best races at Shootout!!!
Buschur Shootout 2011 Semi Final - YouTube

Here is another view of the same pass.
Boostin Performance Red Demon- 8.88 @ 166mph DSM/Evo Shootout 2011 Semi-finals - YouTube

At the end of the event, with the 8.88 pass under Devin's belt, and with the car running perfect, Devin decided to bring the Red Demon out in front of everyone one more time for some T&T. Devin felt there was an 8.70 pass in her. The last pass was perfect with his best 60ft of the day. Looking at the slip of the 8.88 pass, he was .07 faster at the 1000ft. Up until the top of fourth gear, at about 9400 rpm, both rod bolts on cylinder #1 failed, and cut Devins ride short. Devin coasted to a 9.1 at 13x mph.

But don't worry, the Red Demon will be back this weekend with our spare block going in. We're hoping to make an 8.70 pass and some 2G history!

Attachments

• Shootout20111.jpg
    Shootout20111.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Devins Red Demon 2011 Shootout.jpg
    Devins Red Demon 2011 Shootout.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 136
  • BoostinPerformanceShopPics042.jpg
    BoostinPerformanceShopPics042.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 875
Car was really moving this weekend thats for sure!! I was wanting to come stop by and say hello, jsut didnt get a chance. Although, I did stop and chat with Joey for a little bit.

I was rooting for devin at the shootout. It's a shame he lost when he ran that 8.88 I'm looking forward to meeting him when my car comes in for SD intall and a tune on the 13th.

Wow, that really made my day to see a 2g DSM running in the 8's (i'm sure it's been done before but that's the first i've seen of it in video)

congratulations on the awesome timeslip!

What brand of rods were those that had the failure? I can't tell from the pic as it don't look familiar

I understand it was a bolt failure, still wondering what brand rods they are though? I'm jsut curiouse as the part in the pic doesn't look familiar but then again it's not like i've had every brand of rod in my hand to work with. (just to be clear i'm not wondering because of wanting to bad mouth or stay away, clearly anythin holding up into the 8's is a bad ass part!)

Devins car runs great. He drives the hell out of it going as many rounds as he does. What is the fastest 2g out of curiosity?

Well I ment on a Mitsubishi drive train

Quick YouTube search I find Magnus 2g doing 8.7x im fairly sure they've gone faster/quicker.

I believe it's all mitsu IRS etc. It's procomp though.

I understand it was a bolt failure, still wondering what brand rods they are though? I'm jsut curiouse as the part in the pic doesn't look familiar but then again it's not like i've had every brand of rod in my hand to work with. (just to be clear i'm not wondering because of wanting to bad mouth or stay away, clearly anythin holding up into the 8's is a bad ass part!)

There Howards I-Beams, dont quote me but I think those are ARP2000 bolts which are 8740.

Devins car runs great. He drives the hell out of it going as many rounds as he does. What is the fastest 2g out of curiosity?

Thanks. I believe the fastest is Magnus 2G, then Gastroker's 2G and then Devin's Red Demon.

Is he on the HTA3794 now?

yes he made the switch to the HTA3794 just before the Shootout. Im sure the car as a bit left in it. We will find out very soon! :thumb:

One of my favorite 2gs! :D

Congrats and Hope to see it break some records real soon!

Thanks! We should have the car back out to the track soon and i will post the videos when i can. :thumb:

There Howards I-Beams, dont quote me but I think those are ARP2000 bolts which are 8740.

Actually those are a set of Manley Turbo Tuff's with ARP2000 rod bolts. We have now got the upgraded ARP rod bolts and we should be back out very soon.

Wow, that really made my day to see a 2g DSM running in the 8's (i'm sure it's been done before but that's the first i've seen of it in video)

congratulations on the awesome timeslip!

What brand of rods were those that had the failure? I can't tell from the pic as it don't look familiar

Thanks! :thumb:

Car was moving for sure.

Curious to what kind of 60 foots he averages? best?

Well the day of the Shootout he was cutting 1.5's 60fts. So far this season, back to back 1.3's 60fts have been the best on our home tracks.

I see. All on the QTP's?

Also - what was the fastest the car went on the FP race manifold?

Yes all on QTP's. Devin is now in works of goin to a set of Mickeys on 15's. So we'll see how that goes soon.
As for the FP race manifold, i believe he had it on his 8.98 pass at 160+ mph. He was using the FP manifold with a DSM to T3 adapter flange from AMS.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back