The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Red 1990 TSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Had a person get ahold of me and asked me if I would be interested in this and after some picture swapping and talking, I went on a short trip with the trailer and brought her home. 1990TSI AWD.
She needs TLC.
PTU, TPS, Intake cam gear were all missing but I am finding parts from other members to try and put her back together and get her to run. The PO stated it ran 10 years ago when parked but it didn't run good. I found the Knock Sensor completely void of the black goo and it has a non-functional Cyclone manifold on it. As I get time, I am putting all of those parts back on and plan on a timing job since the cam gear has been removed. Fingers crossed I can get her to run or I have wasted precious time.
Stay "tuned" :)
Marty

It was just sitting in the yard so it was a "Yard Find". The man found me over on the ECMTuning site, he said. :)

Yes it's a shell, a 91. I have a 90 that needs a head or a set of valves and its a pretty nice car and red and built the same day as my TSI, same plant too so what's the likelihood of that. See my thread on how the car gods gave me Twins :)

I am gathering parts so no worries. I do appreciate it Deric! I like the new thumbnail picture with your kids :thumb:. I have another member that is helping me with these 1990 ONLY parts and so far I am finding a few thank goodness. He came up with a cam gear so we are good! When I get time I need to pull the front cover and throw new timing components in so I don't have to worry about it or the next owner either.

If it would quit raining here, I could START to take the front of the motor apart to do the thing that a lot of ppl hate to try. I did a timing/water pump job on my 90 GSX in the car and it wasn't as bad as I imagined. Not easy to get to but manageable. I bought a timing kit today, just need to get a tensioner and since they are MIA, I have to go with a aftermarket one. Do you have any opinions on 6 bolt timing tensioners? I have always just used OEM but now we all have to figure out something. :idontknow:

Are the Hyundai tensioners still available? I need to look in to that. I saw one on eBay a week or so ago, it was a combo oem Hyundai belt with an oem Hyundai tensioner and had comparisons to the Mitsubishi parts in the pics. Definitely some differences but I believe the listing said “made in the same plant as the mitsu parts” or something like that. I wonder if that’s a better second option than Gates would be? Or probably they are all discontinued also. I know there must be a lot of folks out there that use Gates.

Any progress on the barn find lately. The weather has been 🥵

Not a thing other than the collection of parts that it was missing. WAY to hot, I haven't gotten anything done this summer at 100-107*. :(

Not a thing other than the collection of parts that it was missing. WAY to hot, I haven't gotten anything done this summer at 100-107*. :(
I feel you Marty. Dying here too with 110 heat index most days. Trying to get something done at least one weekend day for a few hours.

It was a bad summer to try and get outside work done. My shop eats up a extra couple hundo a month if I run the ac.
Hoping fall lasts long enough to get something done!

I absolutely love how these cars are getting old enough for yard finds and barn finds to start popping up. I have a feeling this one isn’t dead yet, I’m hoping for a first start up attempt video! I may have missed it in the past comments but any idea how long it’s been since it ran?

I think he said almost 10 years...:oops:

It was a bad summer to try and get outside work done. My shop eats up a extra couple hundo a month if I run the ac.
Hoping fall lasts long enough to get something done!
I wish we got a fall down here! That would be amazing. Sweating putting up Xmas lights every year.

I think he said almost 10 years...:oops:
Oh yeah she’ll come back to life! You’ve been doing this for years so you already know, but imagine what those lifters are going to sound like on the first start, but of course they’ll come back and if it ran then no doubt it will run again. Keep us posted

Well I got 1 red 90 Talon going again so I went out to check on the other one and had some water on the floor (where my timing components were at) so I sealed up the windshield (it is cracked) with silicone and took my parts inside to make sure they didn't get any moisture on them. Glad I felt like checking on her. She can be a good car too!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back