The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Recommendations to low lag Hx40

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAMA_player

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 27, 2007
Aguascalientes, Central_America
Asking for a little help to avoid waste of time and money here (I have a new baby so money is not to spare :p)

I just found a very good deal on a HX40 and i want some inputs on how make it work for my car.

My goals for the turbo is about 38~42 lbs/min flow
The lowest lag possible on a HX40 (im not looking for HP here so sacrifice peak HP for lower lag is very welcome)

I will make this change because i get tired of turbos dying pretty soon (just 21psi at 7124 ft altitude), so wanted a more low octane gas friendly turbo, and also a turbo that can flow and last. Mostly a turbo that can last long!

So a bep .55 will be the best choice or maybe a divided manifold? or something else? I can get a divided manifold more easily btw....

I really looked at old post, but seems old the post are looking for maximum flow and trying to sacrifice the less spool time. So seems they are a very different approach..

I appreciate any help :)

Yeh, possibly Industrial. That T4 flange, if that is what it is, would flow like hell on a hi rpm big cam car but is probably very laggy unless you can push enough exhaust to spin it up!

Bottom line is the hx40 is going to have more lag than an Hx35. Quick spool but more power than a 16 g you perhaps should have went hx35. Maybe Justin can correct me on this but I also had the hx40/35 hybrid and sold it because I was told it was an unbalanced turbo and the shafts break. So I sold it and it was brandnew.

You're not gonna have both fast spool like a 16g using a hx40 in any combo unless you use a .55 hsing which will just beat up the turbine wheel and shaft over time. I think like Justin says you would be looking to get an HX35 and use the different combo turbine housings if you want something that will spool and with more power than a 16g. Lag=big power hx 40 ,slower spool than 16g ,but more power.
The TS housing and mani I think more noticeably helps spools between shifts.

Since you have the hx40 you'll have to realistically expect some slow spool but not like a 61,62,63 or 64mm turbo.
The t4 hsing will make it worse!!!

As mentioned already in this tread there are a lot of factors that affect spool up. But here is this for some food for though. This is my car 2.0l, 7-bolt head, stock intake manifold, Kelford 272 cams (no degreeing), 7-blade HX-35 in BEP .55 A/R housing, EVO3 exhaust manifold. At 30 psi on my setup I get 42 lbs/min at 5500 rpm and 55lbs/min at 8000 rpm.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As mentioned already in this tread there are a lot of factors that affect spool up. But here is this for some food for though. This is my car 2.0l, 7-bolt head, stock intake manifold, Kelford 272 cams (no degreeing), 7-blade HX-35 in BEP .55 A/R housing, EVO3 exhaust manifold. At 30 psi on my setup I get 42 lbs/min at 5500 rpm and 55lbs/min at 8000 rpm.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I think that setup you have there is what the op needs!

That's what I've been looking for! some sort of actual mapping and a decent layout. That's not bad at all.. hows the spool come back between shifts?

I have a T/S manifold with 1.5 runners, 6 blade hx40 in the t3 18cm housing...i don't have access to my laptop at the moment but it spool ridiculously fast. Once it it's 5 psi, 30 psi is there like right now. When I get the garage I'll post some real info.
It will be great if you can share this info! i just received a Housing but it have 4 bolts instead of 6, and i dont know if i need to make extra holes or what. Im really really considering use the 17cm stock housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back